Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found rear carb leaking gas from the jet access cover. Need to get new o-ring for it.

Would this have prevented the bike from starting?

It just cranked and cranked and cranked.

Guess I will have to check for spark when I get fuel leak fixed.

Jon

·
Geek
872 Posts
Even still, the front cyl should have tried to start. I think your right. Check for spark.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I know this may sound dumb, but you gotta turn the petcock to "off" to get the fuel tank off the bike. Did you turn it back to "on" or "Res" once you put it back on? I'm guessing that it's something simple (a crossed wire, loose wire), so review the easy things first.

The whole Forum is pulling for you, Jon!!! :huddle: :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know this may sound dumb, but you gotta turn the petcock to "off" to get the fuel tank off the bike. Did you turn it back to "on" or "Res" once you put it back on? I'm guessing that it's something simple (a crossed wire, loose wire), so review the easy things first.

The whole Forum is pulling for you, Jon!!! :huddle: :beerchug:
Cindy -

Thats comforting.

I hope it has nothing to do with the pickup coils adjacent to the stator. Hate to have to pull it completely apart again.

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I hope it has nothing to do with the pickup coils adjacent to the stator. Hate to have to pull it completely apart again.

Jon
Perish that thought! (although word is the engine pull gets easier the more you do it...) Look for the simple stuff first - ground wires, solid connections between pins, petcock, gas in the tank, fuses, etc. ALso check the wire off the solenoid to the starter motor - it seems particularly vulnerable down there and may have loosened up when the engine plunked itself back into the frame. One other Q - the bike was running when you bought it?

I just reinstalled my carbs (with much wailing and gnashing of teeth) and plan to start putting parts back on tomorrow. So I may be only a few days behind ya in finding out if my key turns and does something (or nothing), too.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Cindy -

Thats comforting.

Jon
well even still that would be an easy fix, you can access the pickups with the removal of the small outter cover :p

Doesnt sound like its getting spark though. if the pick ups were backwards you would know, same with a crossed wire. Try double checking the ignition module to make sure its correctly plugged in. Also check to make sure the carbs have fuel in them. sometimes they run dry and it takes a while to fill as they need a vacum from the engine first (u get this by cranking and waiting a moment or 2)

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Also check to make sure the carbs have fuel in them. sometimes they run dry and it takes a while to fill as they need a vacum from the engine first
I wouldn't think it'd be fuel delivery problems though if he ... "Found rear carb leaking gas from the jet access cover. Need to get new o-ring for it."

My first looks would be for spark.
I was going to ask if ya smelled fuel (such as in a flooded condition), but if the carb was leaking, ya probably did.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I wouldn't think it'd be fuel delivery problems though if he ... "Found rear carb leaking gas from the jet access cover. Need to get new o-ring for it."
oh yeah.... now for the recovery, maybe the front carb has the fuel lines crossed with the back :blah: lol....

humm, interesting. let us know if u get spark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts