Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding my '93 last night, cruising along at about 55mph, when the bike's lights suddenly shut off, and the bike quit. I coasted to a stop, and tried starting the bike with no response. When i turn the key to the on position, none of the lights come on, and there is no response from the bike whatsoever.

The Bike has a brand new AGM battery in it. I haven't had a chance to test anything with my multimeter yet, as it was late last night, and i am at work now.

If anyone has seen this happen, or has any advise as to where to start, please share!

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Check your fuses first, sounds like it could be the main fuse. Fuse box is behind the left side cover, lift the cover strip off the center of the fuse box to access.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Sounds like it might be the ignition switch......try wiggling the key and see if you find a spot that gives you juice again.

The "puck" underneath the key cylindar can be seperated and cleaned, but be careful since there are tiny springs that can jump out at you and fly away. If you go that route, do a search for ignition cleaning on the forum first for instructions.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I was riding my '93 last night, cruising along at about 55mph, when the bike's lights suddenly shut off, and the bike quit. I coasted to a stop, and tried starting the bike with no response. When i turn the key to the on position, none of the lights come on, and there is no response from the bike whatsoever.

The Bike has a brand new AGM battery in it. I haven't had a chance to test anything with my multimeter yet, as it was late last night, and i am at work now.

If anyone has seen this happen, or has any advise as to where to start, please share!
howd ya get her home? I would check battery first. Then good frame ground.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
howd ya get her home? I would check battery first. Then good frame ground.
My buddy picked me up and we trailered the bike.

When I got home from work, I took the seat off, and was relieved to see that the negative contact had broken off of the terminal. :smiley_th I held it in place, and sure enough, the bike started right up.

Now the only thing I am concerned about is, shouldn't the bike run just fine without the battery hooked up? when i idle the bike, and pull the negative contact away from the terminal, the bike runs rough for a moment and dies. I tried giving it gas, and it died immediately. Is this how it should be? Or could i have an underlying problem?

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Has to have a battery to run!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts