Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have had my Vulcan 750 off the road over the winter as I have been doing some work on it.

I came to turn the engine over the other day to prep it for MOT and there is nothing from the start button.

with Key in and ignition on I have lights both on dash and running lights but it seems like there is no electric going to the start button, so I put a new Start solonoid on it and still nothing not even clicking.

I have had the dash off and clocks but I plugged everything back

I am now out of Ideas can anybody help?

Cheers

Chris

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hi,

I have had my Vulcan 750 off the road over the winter as I have been doing some work on it.

I came to turn the engine over the other day to prep it for MOT and there is nothing from the start button.

with Key in and ignition on I have lights both on dash and running lights but it seems like there is no electric going to the start button, so I put a new Start solonoid on it and still nothing not even clicking.

I have had the dash off and clocks but I plugged everything back

I am now out of Ideas can anybody help?

Cheers

Chris
To my best memory, the power to the start button originates from the Ignitor box located on the right - near the battery. Remove 2 the connectors - check/clean them well.
Good Luck
WilliamTech

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Kill switch?

Gotta ask the obvious.;)

You could take off the housing and check to see if in fact there is no power going to the switch. Not sure if the starter has it's own fuse.

Might try going over all those wires you had unplugged again and make sure you didn't miss something.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Let me chime in on this if I may. Did you actually check for voltage at the start button or just nothing is happening when you press the start button?
Also do you have a schematic for the starter circuit?
The way I see it is this. Voltage from the battery goes thought the JB VIA the 30 Amp fuse, then to the ignition switch, the engine stop switch then the start button. Pressing the start button send voltage back to the JB to the starter circuit relay. Thats only half of it. The starter circuit relay also needs a ground. It gets this ground VIA the starter lockout switch and the neutral switch. If all this is working properly it sends 12VDC to the stater relay.
One thing you can do is pull the 2 pin connector from the starter relay, The blk/yel wire should be ground, the YEL/R wire should have 12VDC after pressing the start button as if you were going to start the bike. I would start there to see which direction you need to go.

·
Member? ... check.
536 Posts
Just some things to check:
(put the bike in neutral)

1. Do you get a "neutral" light on the dash when the key is turned on?

2. Does your tail light come on when you turn the key on?

3. Is the electrical connector to the clutch lever clean and fully engaged?

4. Have you tried pulling the clutch?

5. Are the connectors at the jb clean and fully engaged?

~~C8>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check the two wire connector under fuel tank - left side. The connector runs through a small bracket on the frame. It may appear together/connected but be slightly apart.
If lights come on and starter button is dead this could be the problem! Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys!! I have managed to get it working, it was a dodgy wire to the clutch switch, so I put a new multi plug on it.

Cheers Ride Safe!7
Chris.
uk

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Good on ya for finding the problem mate! (In my best affected Aussie accent, picked up over there 40 years ago, lol :))
Electrical gremlins are my biggest hate. :mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
had the same problem on mine when i broke her out of storage. I had power to everything but the start button. Not sure what caused it. I had jumped the starter solenoid with a screwdriver( I know I know haha). she started right up and havent had a problem since. still not sure what caused it but she works everytime now. hopefully you have the same luck. Mick

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its my turn folks. Same issue, no power to the start button. So I cleaned the contacts with a mini wire mesh brush. I put everything back together including the little pin. As soon as I press the start the button, all the lights on the dash turned off.

What did I mess up? I checked the main fuses, and all 4 looks good. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Its my turn folks. Same issue, no power to the start button. So I cleaned the contacts with a mini wire mesh brush. I put everything back together including the little pin. As soon as I press the start the button, all the lights on the dash turned off.

What did I mess up? I checked the main fuses, and all 4 looks good. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.
are your fuses still good? is the battery charged....sounds like either a short circuit or a dead battery.

Short circuit should blow a fuse.
Low battery will look like everything is working untill you put the strain of the starter on it...and everything drops out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
are your fuses still good? is the battery charged....sounds like either a short circuit or a dead battery.

Low battery will look like everything is working untill you put the strain of the starter on it...and everything drops out.
Battery is reading at 12+ volts... And yes fuses are all ok. I'll check again tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts

After installing a new battery, the dash lights turns on again. Replaced start button with a used one off ebay and still not cranking.

Bike cranks when I connect the soleniod tips with a flat head.

What's next? inspect the connector under the tank?

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
After installing a new battery, the dash lights turns on again. Replaced start button with a used one off ebay and still not cranking.

Bike cranks when I connect the soleniod tips with a flat head.

What's next? inspect the connector under the tank?
If I had this problem, I would bypass all the safety switches for diagnostic purposes. I believe this info is in a sticky by new rider in this electrical section.

·
4,508 Posts
If I had this problem, I would bypass all the safety switches for diagnostic purposes. I believe this info is in a sticky by new rider in this electrical section.
x2 ----Good advice...bypass all safety switches....get 'er started !

:smiley_th

·
4,508 Posts
Found the clutch wire dangling... Plugged it in and it started! Now I can sleep lol.

Thanks
Whoopiiiiiee ! Congrat's !

WTG

:smiley_th

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had this issue with my '91 before I sold it.In my mind I thought it MUST be the Solonoid Relay,so I ordered one,waited two weeks,put it in...nothing.Shop bypassed the junction box,worked great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts