Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up to go to work and the bike surprised me with no power from the battery. Fired right up and idled without a problem when I jumped it with a car battery.

I didn't use the bike on the weekend at all, and it rained... any chance the rain had something to do with it? I'm sure I have some connections in there that aren't "water proof". I'm hoping it's not stator failure :-/

I had already mentioned my R/R heating up quite a bit, but the bike was doing just fine anyway until today. I already bought a mosfet R/R on eBay but it doesn't even show as "Shipped" yet, so who knows when I'll get it.

What I just did was put the battery on the tender, cut off the R/R plug which is in pretty bad shape, solder some fresh wire from the stator yellow leads to the wires on the R/R and I also took some fresh wiring and replaced the R/R + and - output and sent it straight to the battery to bypass any damaged wiring that might be in the stock harness.

I hope that makes it heat up less and I really really hope I don't have a faulty stator u_u

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Got up to go to work and the bike surprised me with no power from the battery. Fired right up and idled without a problem when I jumped it with a car battery.

I didn't use the bike on the weekend at all, and it rained... any chance the rain had something to do with it? I'm sure I have some connections in there that aren't "water proof". I'm hoping it's not stator failure :-/

I had already mentioned my R/R heating up quite a bit, but the bike was doing just fine anyway until today. I already bought a mosfet R/R on eBay but it doesn't even show as "Shipped" yet, so who knows when I'll get it.

What I just did was put the battery on the tender, cut off the R/R plug which is in pretty bad shape, solder some fresh wire from the stator yellow leads to the wires on the R/R and I also took some fresh wiring and replaced the R/R + and - output and sent it straight to the battery to bypass any damaged wiring that might be in the stock harness.

I hope that makes it heat up less and I really really hope I don't have a faulty stator u_u
Sounds like you should have good results with your repairs.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure hope so, I can't afford a stator replacement right now.

Also can't afford to have the bike break down, I have no other ride at the moment.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I've been seeing warnings to have the car engine off if you jump the bike, or the R/R can be fried.

Are you getting the kit from Roadstercycle in Calif. or the one in Joplin, Mo.? I just know that Jack at Roadster is very good to work with if you run into problems. I'm supposed to call him this evening to try and work out the trouble I'm having with mine. He was quick to say I could return the R/R, until I figured out it was alright and the problem is somewhere else.

You could have checked the battery voltage before jump starting, just to see if the battery was actually dead or a bad connection was the culprit.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I had the car off, just the battery power to jump the bike. I bought a mosfet R/R from a Ninja ZX10 bike. Ththanner has been running his from a ZX14 and they seem to be the same R/R. It's just getting shipped today, so I'm either gonna have it by this weekend or the next.

Everything is working now... only bad news right now is my battery tender died :(

It did manage to give enough charge to my battery to start the bike though.

Here's something that's bothering me though... is 15.9V too much? (bike on, RPMs up, measured at the battery terminals)

Before I replaced the wiring I was barely getting 13V when I revved up the bike. Now at idle the lowest it goes is to 14.5V and when I rev up the bike the highest it goes is to 15.9V.

Am I gonna kill my battery if I run it like this?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
That's a fairly high charge. I know on a conventional wet cell battery that would boil the electrolyte out eventually then end up warping the plates until they short together. Try to see if the battery feels hot after a ride.

If you connect extra lights or something at the battery temporarily, does the voltage drop to a normal level?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went through the verses and found a little tip... says that joining the positive output wire and the brown wire on the regulator will make it lower the voltage a bit more. Gonna try it out in a bit.

I don't think I have any lights to put on it, but I used the high beam and the voltage only went down a little bit... still over 15V when I revved it up.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success!!

Joining the brown wire to the positive output wire on the R/R dropped the voltage to where I'm getting around 13V-14V at idle and up to 14.45V when revving.

I had no idea what that brown wire did. It seems to act like a sensor or comparison for the R/R to adjust the output. If left unhooked, the RR gives me up to 18V!! If hooked to its proper connection it gave me the previous 15.9V. Now that I hooked it up to the output wire, it gives me 14.45V tops.

The RR still heats up, but the wires themselves seem to be cooler. Whatever, as long as it holds together until my mosfet replacement gets here, I'm golden!

Now to install a couple other goodies I bought for the bike :D

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Success!!

Joining the brown wire to the positive output wire on the R/R dropped the voltage to where I'm getting around 13V-14V at idle and up to 14.45V when revving.

I had no idea what that brown wire did. It seems to act like a sensor or comparison for the R/R to adjust the output. If left unhooked, the RR gives me up to 18V!! If hooked to its proper connection it gave me the previous 15.9V. Now that I hooked it up to the output wire, it gives me 14.45V tops.

The RR still heats up, but the wires themselves seem to be cooler. Whatever, as long as it holds together until my mosfet replacement gets here, I'm golden!

Now to install a couple other goodies I bought for the bike :D

all the above
wtg !

:smiley_th

1 - 9 of 9 Posts