Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a Kawasaki F&S windshield on my '93, and took it off and put it back about 10 times while I had the bike. I have had 3 different windshields on my '02 during the past 11 years, and kept taking all 3 off and putting them back on. I tossed the first one, sold the second one (an expensive Memphis Shades Harley type) for cheap, and I'm keeping this one (a Memphis Shades "shooter" universal shield) to let go with the bike when I sell it. But it will NEVER go back on. I just got back from a 240 mile ride after taking it off, and it was so nice It was hard to believe it was the same bike. No more helmet buffeting, no more looking at the ugly bug covered thing, and without it, things are now quiet enough I can actually hear the stock exhaust. It actually sounds like a motorcycle now.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't know why anyone would ever put one on such a small nimble bike anyway. Their main purpose is to reduce fatigue on long trips. This Vulcan is not ideal for very long trips. It's like putting a luggage rack on a sport car, why? Buy the fitting bike for your needs from the start.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
The problem really is the bike.....and the fact you never found the "right" windscreen for it.

Took me awhile to get one that worked right (Plexistar 2 with about 4.5 inches cut off the top)

Problem with the bike is you are sitting so far back from the screen that's there's too much space between your head and the windscreen. This creates alot of turbulance that end up causing alot of "buffeting".

Best move is a small short screen that takes the wind off your chest but leaves your head exposed.

I love having a windscreen....but on the 750 it was a real pain to find one that worked well. The little one I have on my Bonneville now works great BTW.... So not going to toss out the baby with the bath water here....;)

·
2,527 Posts
The plexistar2 I cut down about 2" and it worked great with no buffeting.
Now that I'm riding the 900 Custom without one, I kinda enjoy it.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
X2 on having a fairing. I've got a big one on mine with the windshield set where its about 2"below my eyes. I do get a good bit of buffeting above 70 and will probably get a shorter shield for it.

Avoiding contact with rocks, bugs and sand from the occasional dust devil makes me happy :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I don't know why anyone would ever put one on such a small nimble bike anyway. Their main purpose is to reduce fatigue on long trips. This Vulcan is not ideal for very long trips. It's like putting a luggage rack on a sport car, why? Buy the fitting bike for your needs from the start.
That seems to be an interesting comment after looking at the transformation you have done on your particular machine. If anyone wants to make changes to their own machine including adding a windshield they should just go ahead and do it. If they like the results then keep it and if not change it to something else.

·
I.T. Analyst, Alpha Geek
157 Posts
This really depends on an individual and his bike. Buffeting and noise depends on the fairing, windshield angle, height, style. Also on riding stance, head position, angle, height, helmet type and model. And proper helmet FIT is the biggest factor in noise, and that really depends on your head shape. But if you're better without it, that's great.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
And what's wrong with putting a luggage rack on a sports car?????

Ever hear of "Sports Touring?"

I didn't put a windscreen on for long distance comfort. I did it cause I hate feeling like the air is trying to shove me off the back of the bike and to put up some protection from the crap tossed at me .....bugs, rocks, etc.

The Vulcan not ideal for long trips? You the bike police now? LOL

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Plexistar works great for me.....and I use it for the same reason as KM....bugs, rocks, and debris on the interstate. I get no buffeting at all....you just have to find the right position and height combination for the individual using it.

Define "long trips please.....I think the windshield makes the longer trips more tolerable since you are not fighting the wind. The added protection from rain and cold makes a world of difference on long trips.

It comes down to personal preference....plain and simple.

·
Registered
185 Posts
And what's wrong with putting a luggage rack on a sports car?????

Ever hear of "Sports Touring?"

I didn't put a windscreen on for long distance comfort. I did it cause I hate feeling like the air is trying to shove me off the back of the bike and to put up some protection from the crap tossed at me .....bugs, rocks, etc.

The Vulcan not ideal for long trips? You the bike police now? LOL
Amen on the "Not getting shoved off the back of the bike" I have a fairing type that also has sections that protect the hands and the knees. And it gives me "The Wind in My Face" without all that buffeting. And it's also pretty much a fact that a good windscreen cuts down the stress of wind noise and buffeting. Which is what wears a rider down more than any other factor.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I love my street shield EX. Bike is so quite I can hear the damn speedo cable whirling around. That's my only complaint. It doesn't get buffeted by trucks etc. I have had no bug strikes on my face since getting it. I look just over the top about an inch. It's awesome. Don't need any eye protection at night either.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I couldn't agree more. My bike came with a Plexstar III and I hated it. The amount of wind I caught w/o the shield was minimal compared to other bikes I have owned in the past. A small sportshield would work fine on this bike, but I think a large shield is too much.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
My bike came with a smaller SpitFire windshield. I haven't tried riding without it but I like it. I've got a few stickers on there too, so it's a nice chest wind deflector and also gives a little more real estate to personalize the bike. Since I'm in the IT field, the first "mod" I did was remove the "S" and the "P" as kind of an inside joke. Now it just says "IT Fire" which just makes me chuckle.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I am using the F&S windshield right now. would like a larger one, as I anticipate some longer rides on the E-Ways in the future, and I know what I have isn't big enough for me.

anyone wanna donate a larger one?

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have ridden my Vulcans all over the country, 160,000+ miles worth. I have tried 4 windshields on them, and they made things worse. I am a lot more comfortable with just a full face helmet and earplugs. My last windshield was so low that it directed all the wind, bugs and whatever else right at my faceshield. And that blast of air over the top of the shield did feel like it was trying to blow my helmet off (the larger Harley type windshield I had before actually did blow my face shield off, and made the bike very unstable at highway speeds)

No windshield actually makes me feel free, like I'm no longer riding around with a ball & chain. It seems the very reason many have windshields (for protection from the wind) is exactly what I got by taking mine off. At 65-75 mph things are now very smooth and quiet, without all that turbulence the windshield caused.

If a windshield works for you, great. But after having spent around $1000 for windshields that didn't work, I give up. The Goldwing is the only bike I've ever ridden where the windshield/fairing actually worked well, and Honda must have worked some kind of magic on that. Probably designed in a wind tunnel.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have ridden my Vulcans all over the country, 160,000+ miles worth. I have tried 4 windshields on them, and they made things worse. I am a lot more comfortable with just a full face helmet and earplugs. My last windshield was so low that it directed all the wind, bugs and whatever else right at my faceshield. And that blast of air over the top of the shield did feel like it was trying to blow my helmet off (the larger Harley type windshield I had before actually did blow my face shield off, and made the bike very unstable at highway speeds)

No windshield actually makes me feel free, like I'm no longer riding around with a ball & chain. It seems the very reason many have windshields (for protection from the wind) is exactly what I got by taking mine off. At 65-75 mph things are now very smooth and quiet, without all that turbulence the windshield caused.

If a windshield works for you, great. But after having spent around $1000 for windshields that didn't work, I give up. The Goldwing is the only bike I've ever ridden where the windshield/fairing actually worked well, and Honda must have worked some kind of magic on that. Probably designed in a wind tunnel.
Don't blame the windshield for blowing the wind and bugs into your face until you have positioned the angle of the windshield properly!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't blame the windshield for blowing the wind and bugs into your face until you have positioned the angle of the windshield properly!

The last I positioned all over the place. It never did get anywhere near as nice as it is without it. The one before that was a Memphis Shades Slims, which came just below eye level. It was the one that would try to yank the bars right out of your hands in a gust of wind or if a semi truck went by. It also caused a high speed shimmy. It was not angled properly, but was not adjustable. This type of shield (looks like what comes stock on the Nomad and Vulcan Classic LT) should be mounted at pretty much the same angle as the forks. But this one, with non adjustable bike specific mounting hardware, was almost vertical when mounted. And everything was put together properly.

I just got back from a 120 mile ride, and can't believe how nice it was. I've ridden it without a shield before, I have no idea why I kept putting them back on. I had forgotten just how nice it was without one. Removing it has almost doubled the enjoyment of riding the bike. Now I can't wait for summer to be over, so I can put some miles on it in the daytime.

Funny thing is, I have never been a windshield guy. Out of over 40 bikes I have owned, the only one I ever put an aftermarket windshield on besides the Vulcans was a 1983 Yamaha XS650, back about 1985.

·
Registered
185 Posts
VN750rider/Jerry

You may well be a senior member. And you are most assuuredly entitled to your opinion. But then we all know about opinions, now don't we?
Lets see now that, last sentance I just made should most likely get me summarily dismissed from the forum, what?

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Jerry also finds the stock seat on the 750 to be very comfortable.....

Hey, whatever works for you. I know quite a few riders that just don't like windscreens. It's another oil thread here. Opinions all and basicly subjective... Big surprise.....

I wear a full face helmet and earplugs most times too....even when I was in the "Cone of Silence" my larger aftermarket screen generated on my FJR.

If it don't work for you it don't work for you....don't listen to those that say it can and just do what makes your bike work for you.

This thread is like so done...........

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You may well be a senior member. And you are most assuuredly entitled to your opinion. But then we all know about opinions, now don't we?
Lets see now that, last sentance I just made should most likely get me summarily dismissed from the forum, what?

Not opinion, experience. When I ride with the shield on, then take it off and am a lot more comfortable, that pretty much says it all. In my case, instead of catching and concentrating the air, and aiming all of it at my face shield, making me feel like I was riding in a hurricane, the air now gets dissipated much more evenly. It's a much quieter ride. I can here the exhaust now, I couldn't before.

I'm just stating MY experience. Yours may very well be completely different. Lots of things come into play. Being taller or shorter is going to make a difference. The type of windshield is going to make a difference. The type of helmet you have will also make a difference. Many wear open face helmets, and having once worn them myself, they are totally different from a full face helmet.

If your are happy with your windshield, great. But I tried 4 different windshields on Vulcan 750s, and was not happy with any of them. I am happy without one, so I'm going to leave it at that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts