Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read recommendations on how to clean out rust from my tank. I did this because I was getting gas in my oil and that the carbs may be the cause of it. The gas tank cleaning worked out and now my tank is rust free.

I also put seafoam in the fuel hoses to possibly clean out any debris in the carbs. I drained the seafoam from the carbs.

I put the tank back on and started it up. It started up and ran sluggishly but still ran. I then noticed gas in the oil again. I drained the oil and decided it was time to remove the carbs to get them cleaned.

I started the sequence needed to get to the carbs so they can be removed.
I got to the part where I opened up the clamps to remove the rubber ducts from the carbs. I got back on this forum and started reading about stuck floats and pointers on how to clean the floats. So I decided to put everything back together in reverse order.

After everything was back together, I drained the carbs and sprayed Gumout through the drain holes into the carbs. About an hour later, I opened the drain and drained the carbs. I then put seafoam in the fuel hoses and let it sit for an hour. I drained the carbs and the seafoam came out successfully.

I hooked the hoses back to the petcock but now the bike will not start. I opened the drain screws to see if gas would come out, but there were only a drop or two that came out. It is as if there is no gas going to the carbs. I put fresh gas along with seafoam in the tank.

There is a rubber hose that is connected to a T-shape in front of the carb but the other end is not connected to anything. It is hanging at the left side of the gas tank. I do not know if this has anything to do with it because if i recall it was like that after the dealer worked on it a few months ago.

Thanks for any help.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
there is a vacuum line from the left carb to the petcock if it is not hooked up you will not get fuel. our petcocks have a diaphram that is supposed to shut them off when there is no vacuum but i still shut mine off when i am not riding.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
There are two lines connected to the carbs with a T fitting. One is on the right side of the bike, it is the carb vent hose. There are 2 separate vent hoses, one for each carb. They are connected together into a single hose with a T fitting, and it then connects to the right air filter housing. The end is supposed to be open to the atmosphere, so it doesn't matter if it is hanging loose, as long as it is not kinked, plugged, or otherwise obstructed.

The other T is in the vacuum line to the right side of the rear carb, where it splits up, connects to the air injection valve, and also connects to the CA evap emissions crap.

I don't know what the hose with a T you are describing might be, follow it and see where it connects to.

I definitely do not recommend putting Gumout into motorcycle carbs, it dissolves rubber and plastic parts.

If you had rust in the tank, it is possible some got into the carbs, and is preventing the float needle valves from seating. Seafoam (or Gumout) neither one will remove rust, or solid particles of any kind. You have to disassemble the carbs to get that out. I recommend removing the carbs, taking them apart, giving them a thorough cleaning, and possibly replacing any rubber or plastic parts that may have been damaged by the Gumout, paying particular attention to the tip of the float needle valves. If the carbs are overfilling, the gas HAS to be getting through the needle valve assemblies. Jerry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. It is a '98 and the carbs never been worked on so maybe it is that time. Once again thanks for all the help.

Great forum

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It sounds to me like you have a vacuum open. If the petcock has no vacuum drawn on it no gas will flow through the valve. Even if you have the other end connected to the vacuum port on the petcock, if one end off the T is open, it won't open the petcock.

If you had rust in the tank, some of it was settling in your carbs. You can't stop that even with an inline filter. I don't know how, but rust get's through filters and will settle in the carb like mississippi mud. If the carbs haven't been cleaned, they need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts