Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a ride yesterday. Rode combination of back roads and interstate. Kept the throttle light and speed at or under 65. Had a strong back wind of 15 - 20 mph. Filled up and did the calculation. Blew me away and the gas station attendant too.

DT

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
A nice tail wind can be a big help!! And keeping the speed (relatively) down helps too!

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I would love to see that, but I rarely ride over 60 mph, and always ride back roads to work, etc. The best I've ever gotten is 46 mgp. I don't see how anyone could be getting nearly 30 mpg better. I'm always watching my rpms, and rarely let them get over 4,000. I would be ecstatic if I got 50 - 55 mpg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great Job!, I average high 40's (MPG) in town and have made it into the 50's ONCE! I've also found the this engine really does not like to cruise at 80mph; mileage dipped into the low 30's.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Took a nice little cruise on Sunday. I seem to cruise between 70-80mph on the highways, and still am getting in the mid 40's on my mpg at that speed.

·
50 Posts
I can ride 75-80 on the highway and get 39mpg, and then really baby it on backroads, never going over 50-55 and 4K rpm, and only get a couple mpg more, ~42-43mpg. Does that make any sense??? Go figure. . .

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I recently completed a 1,700-mile trip. My best tank-full of gas -- 56 mpg. My worst -- 45 mpg. For the entire trip I averaged just a few drops under 50 mpg.

74 mpg? That sounds surreal to me. I'd be tempted to double-check the calculations, or the method of calculation! ;)

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I run 52 consistently

·
Registered
119 Posts
Depending on the type of riding I am doing, my mileage varies. On trips where the riding is more steady, I usually get about 54mpg -- though it has been as high as 60mpg. But my day to day driving to work and back (city driving) usually averages out to between 45 and 50mpg.

But, I look at the VERY bright side..... even riding hard and stupid, I am still getting 40+mpg, which is a far cry better than the 14-16mpg my Tahoe gets.:doh: Now, my biggest concern is how to keep the tires on my truck from dry rotting while they sit in the same spot in the driveway for so long. :smiley_th

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I run 52 consistently
50's I can believe - with the right tuning, and carbs adjusted right. 70's is harder to swallow.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Now, my biggest concern is how to keep the tires on my truck from dry rotting while they sit in the same spot in the driveway for so long.
Just keep Armor-all on them, and they should look good for awhile. You have to take out a loan to fill up a Tahoe these days, don't you?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I once came up with a 72. Did the math 3 times, had my wife do it a few times, had a friend do it a couple times and kept coming up with 72. I still don't believe I got that much, and have resigned myself to the fact that I forget to reset the ODO once. I remember that tank full, I got 202 miles out of it.

I consistently get 46-48. Last night I filled up and came up with 50, so I still think I must have made a mistake to come up with that 72 a few weeks ago.

Anyway, if you did it, congrat's, and keep an eye on it and see what she does next. ;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Guess I go through about 2 1/2 tanks a week, if I can ride to work every day and get a good ride in on the weekends.

The wife's Titan has a 28 gallon tank, and she goes through at least one a week.

Easy to see what was being filled up when the bill on the gas card comes in.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Now, my biggest concern is how to keep the tires on my truck from dry rotting while they sit in the same spot in the driveway for so long. :smiley_th
I usually get 49-54 and I run through the city for about 30 minutes a day and about 60 minutes on the highway running 70-80mph.

For the tires, I think they make bonnets for RV tires to keep the UV off them...I even noticed this older fella by my dad's house had 20+ year old tires on his camper and they were in great shape. He made plywood cutouts that he just leans aganst the tires.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I once came up with a 72. Did the math 3 times, had my wife do it a few times, had a friend do it a couple times and kept coming up with 72. I still don't believe I got that much, and have resigned myself to the fact that I forget to reset the ODO once. I remember that tank full, I got 202 miles out of it.
When I take a long trip, I pack a small calculator in my tank bag. It helps me "do the math!" I don't bother checking mileage day-to-day.

However, one of these days, if I get a lot of time on my hands, I might see just how far I can get on a tank of gas... riding at low RPMs and gliding whenever physically possible!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So here's the stats:
Uni air filters
Stock jets (runs lean I know)
Exhaust is basically straight out. The goat is in place but guts are cut out w/glass packs
Maier bug screen
10" pull back bars so I'm under most of the air wash
Babied the throttle and coasted when possible
Topped off to the bottom of the splash guard, did the ride, then topped off to the same spot in the tank, pulled out the calculator and did the math.

The ride home (into the wind on all backroads) still achieved 64 mpg.

DT

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I use a calculator to, and I don't do it day to day.

When the tank is empty I fill it, and set the ODO to zero. Run it until empty, refill to full. Take the number showing on the ODO, and divide it by the gallons used to refill it.

Probably don't have to go to empty, but it's "my way".

That one time I came up with 72mpg, I got 202 miles from that tank of gas, unless I missed the zero on reset, or did a partial few dollar refill along the way that I had forgot about.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
So here's the stats:
Uni air filters
Stock jets (runs lean I know)
Exhaust is basically straight out. The goat is in place but guts are cut out w/glass packs
Maier bug screen
10" pull back bars so I'm under most of the air wash
Babied the throttle and coasted when possible
Topped off to the bottom of the splash guard, did the ride, then topped off to the same spot in the tank, pulled out the calculator and did the math.

The ride home (into the wind on all backroads) still achieved 64 mpg.

DT

All I can say is if that's what you are getting, Mo Power To YA!:smiley_th

·
Registered
802 Posts
At times like this, I realize I watched waayyy too many cartoons when I was a kid.

Foghorn Leghorn is lecturing (as he usually did) about how something mathematically worked out.

In his words, "You can argue with me, but you can't argue with the numbers."

Sounds like this is one of those times. ;)

Still get a chuckle out of hearing that too.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I couldn't post it, but just in case any of it got through Dirtrack, I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that...:itchy-scr...
Ha, ha, the devil made me do it...lol...
Just kidding...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts