Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 vn750, 29000miles. Cannot get starter to engage, solenoid clicks when I hit start button. Battery reads 13.5 volts. Tried jump start from my other bike ..nothing. Checked battery leads ..all are clean and tight . Checked engine ground strap..clean and tight. My next guess is the starter,but want some input from u guys first.

Just installed new rebuilt stator and voltage regulator about 800 miles ago.

Thanks,
Wicker

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Try jumping across the solenoid. Check with a voltmeter if you have current to the starter motor with the button pressed down.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If u need to, take the starter off and go have it checked out. I think most auto parts stores can check it. I think the previous post means to check for voltage. Unless you have a special type amp meter it might not be a good idea just to use your average everyday voltmeter, to check for current (amps) the meter would be would have to be connected in series. I'm not sure what the normal current flow is for the stater but some meters might not be able to handle it.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Actually what I ment to say was check for continuity all the way to the starter motor.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Neutral light on?

Edit - didn't notice it was a bike you've ridden.

Still - - sometimes it's the silly stuff that gets us.
-----------------------------
I didn't make a good user name and I can't change it, so please call me Nate.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
all good "Stupid Points/Issues"....
not sure any will help....but worth a try.

:smiley_th

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
try putting the bike in gear and rolling it a few feet then dump the clutch just enough to get the motor to turn a hair

my bike has decided it doesnt want to start recently and just does that click you mentioned but if i rock it and kinda jolt the motor the starter will then work you may just have a bad or dirty brush in the starter that you need to rock past

if this does the trick you will need to at least clean the starter if not get it rebuilt

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
try putting the bike in gear and rolling it a few feet then dump the clutch just enough to get the motor to turn a hair

my bike has decided it doesnt want to start recently and just does that click you mentioned but if i rock it and kinda jolt the motor the starter will then work you may just have a bad or dirty brush in the starter that you need to rock past

if this does the trick you will need to at least clean the starter if not get it rebuilt
x2... rebuilding the starter isn't that hard of a job.

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem was the starter . Installed he rebuild kit...$20 and solved the problem. Water had gotten into the end that houses the brushes.
Thanks,
Wayne

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After tearing down my starter, I suggest you pull your starter and remove the end cap by the terminal for the battery lead and u will probably find what I found...badly corroded brush housings causing one or more of the 4 brushes stuck. U can probably clean then with a small wire brush and not have to rock ur bike to get the good/ free brushes lined up.

Wicker

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
After tearing down my starter, I suggest you pull your starter and remove the end cap by the terminal for the battery lead and u will probably find what I found...badly corroded brush housings causing one or more of the 4 brushes stuck. U can probably clean then with a small wire brush and not have to rock ur bike to get the good/ free brushes lined up.

Wicker
I would think that issue would have already been addressed when he rebuilt the starter.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
I would think that issue would have already been addressed when he rebuilt the starter.

didnt rebuild the starter

Wicker
my problem fixed its self for now but when its time for an oil change and that should be soon im gonna put my other starter on

glad you got your ride fixed did you roll it to figure out what it was?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts