Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is not charging. I have already confirmed the battery is fine, and have tested the voltage at 5k RPM: Still only 12 volts.

I am attempting to test the R/R, but really have no idea how to work the new multimeter I bought. It is digital, auto range.

I've been testing using the following guidlines:

(- B) to (+ M, G, A1, A2, A3) = no continuity, infinity.
(- M) to (+ B, G, A1, A2, A3) = 10k to infinity.
(- G) to (+ B) = 0.4 to 2k, (+ M) = 1 to 5k, (+ A1, A2, A3) = 0.2 to 0.6k
(- A1,2,3) to (+ B) = 0.2 to 0.6k, (+ M, G) = infinity.

When I set the function of the meter to just the OHM symbol, I get zero Ohms when testing all connections above.

When I set the meter to the OHM symbol, with an M next to the symbol I get the following readings:

-B to M- 0
-B to G- 9.59
-B to A1- 5.5
-B to A2- 5.15
-B to A3- 6.06

-M to B- 0
-M to G 2.252
-M to A1,2,3- 0
-G to all- 0
-A1,2,3 to all- 0

These readings are way off what it says above they should be. Am I setting the meter wrong, or is my R/R just really screwed up??

Thanks for any help.....

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
These readings are way off what it says above they should be. Am I setting the meter wrong, or is my R/R just really screwed up??
Neither. The figures given in the service manual only apply when measured with the Kawasaki meter. They also apply for a similar meter, but for a great many meters they don't.

Instead of trying to measure the R/R, test the stator. There are many threads on that subject. If the stator is good, then the R/R must be bad (assuming that all connections are good).

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither. The figures given in the service manual only apply when measured with the Kawasaki meter. They also apply for a similar meter, but for a great many meters they don't.

Instead of trying to measure the R/R, test the stator. There are many threads on that subject. If the stator is good, then the R/R must be bad (assuming that all connections are good).
Really?? That seems weird. Who has a Kawasaki Meter??

But if I test the Stator using what the figures should be from the manual, won't that be useless also, since I don't have a Kawasaki meter??

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
The R/R contains semiconductors and therefore you get different readings with different multimeters. There are no semiconductors in the stator. Any multimeter will give you accurate enough readings from the stator.

By the way, your multimeter shows resistance reading 0 (perhaps 0L ?) when there is infinite resistance.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'm still learning all this stuff. I just want to get back on the bike!!! I'll try and test the Stator tonight. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts