Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you changed out your stock headlight for a brighter (HID) headlight? I know that at least a couple of you have added driving lights. How much do these help? I'm kind of nervous riding at night because I don't feel that the headlight lights the road well enough especally with abundance of deer and other 4 footed menaces to the motorcycling public. (to paraphrase Carl Spackler;)). What's your experience?

Thx,

R

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I put in a halogen headlight bulb - definitely helps, although I still end up driving ahead of the beam most of the time. More importantly, I think, is brightening up the rear of the bike. We've got nothing back there but a taillight-as-running-light. Some of us have purchased LED boards from Clear Alternatives to brighten up the tail/brakelight. And others have bought kits that allow the turn signals to be converted into running/brake lights - and still maintain their original function as turn signals. Those two things - the board and the conversino - are probably the most-important changes I've made. As far as being able to see where I'm driving and anticipating critters - mostly I ride more slowly and try to get to a place where I can ride with the high beam on.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I was just thinking about HID lighting for the front headlight. They're doing construction work on one of the roads I take on the way in. So, they just do a lane shift using blacktop. Nice little surprise when it's dark out.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I put in a halogen headlight bulb - definitely helps,
I agree, as back in the 80s when I had the 700 Honda Shadow and riding 75mi one way to work and leaving about 5 am I did the same, put in a high powered (I think Illegal) bulb, it did very well...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I have a 100/80 watt bulb (there is one that is130/80, I have not used it) with 35 watt driving lights. I did not like the blue light bulb. This set up does really good for driving with no one coming at you. The problem is when there is a car coming from the other side that one has to go to the low beam. The low beam is short and the car lights coming at you make it very hard to see anything. That is the best that I have come up with yet.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ron,

I was thinking about the HID light as well and I think I'm going to at least try it. I did the conversion on my car and it was actuaally painless (seriously, was quick and easy!) so I figure the worst part of the bike would be finding the space for everything.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I looked into one HID and it only worked on low beam. Thr high beam was still a halogen bulb according to the tech rep. Check out the system fully before you buy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
yea, I saw that. Thats not really a problem because of the fact that I'm in a large city and pretty much NEVER get to use my highbeam, so I need something really good at the low end. and in the long run HID lights also use less power once on.

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
I upgraded to a Silverstar H4 (H4 is the correct/OEM type) and am pretty happy with it. Like Cindy, I end up over riding it sometimes but it's much better than the original standard or Halogen plus proper aiming is critical. I have mine slightly higher than the manuals recommend. Gives me a few extra feet of vision and doesn't quite cause the oncoming driver to nuke me back.

I also think the more critical issue is being seen from behind at night, rather than light in front of us. I worry more about some idiot/drunk slamming me from behind than seeing a rabbit/deer/critter/pet a little too late and swerving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts