Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
None of my sockets seem to fit well on this plug. I got the shallow ones out with a deep 18mm socket but the deep ones seem to require a low profile socket. Am I missing something? For decades I've changed plugs in cars, boats, ,mowers, etc and I've never seen this odd plug size.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
you need to get a deep socket 18 and grind it down to fit thats how i did mine
Or the thinner wall sears deep well 18mm, it works without grinding...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yup. I went to sears and bought the thin wall 18mm deep socket and I have no trouble at all.

When I went to buy it it didn't actually say "thin wall" or anything else on it, just 18mm, but you can tell when you look at it that it is thinner than regular sockets.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
None of my sockets seem to fit well on this plug. I got the shallow ones out with a deep 18mm socket but the deep ones seem to require a low profile socket. Am I missing something? For decades I've changed plugs in cars, boats, ,mowers, etc and I've never seen this odd plug size.
I changed my plugs last night and used the plug wrench from the "tool kit" that comes with the bag. Worked well.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Yup. I went to sears and bought the thin wall 18mm deep socket and I have no trouble at all.

When I went to buy it it didn't actually say "thin wall" or anything else on it, just 18mm, but you can tell when you look at it that it is thinner than regular sockets.
Could you give us the part number off the socket?
I know somebody gave a Sears or Craftsman p/n for one a long time ago, but I can`t find it now.

I looked in Sears, but couldn`t find one in the store. The socket that came with my bike`s toolkit does work though.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
OHC-The one I have is not a Sparkplug (no inner rubber boot) socket but a standard deep well 3/8" Dr. x 18mm Craftsman G and is thin walled, and the number on the socket is 44435...
That might be a catalog number, not sure...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
OHC-The one I have is not a Sparkplug (no inner rubber boot) socket but a standard deep well 3/8" Dr. x 18mm Craftsman G and is thin walled, and the number on the socket is 44435...
That might be a catalog number, not sure...
Thanks OD, I`m sure that p/n will get the right socket if I go looking again.
Just for giggles I should stick a pair of dividers down to the bottom of the spark plug tube to measure the diameter.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
OHC-The socket I have measures 0.9285" O.D., and has but 0.055" Avg. thickness at the points, much thinner walls would make it about too weak to use...

·
Bandito
160 Posts
I got my 18mm deep socket at Auto Zone and it works fine.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Could you give us the part number off the socket?
I know somebody gave a Sears or Craftsman p/n for one a long time ago, but I can`t find it now.

I looked in Sears, but couldn`t find one in the store. The socket that came with my bike`s toolkit does work though.
Only number I see on the socket is 50675

There's also G2D engraved on top of that number, but upside down.

I found it at a wall where they have a bunch of individual sockets for sale.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The 5 digit number -50675- looks like a Sears p/n to me.
As I recall, all my Craftsman tools have a specific 5 digit ID number.

Not sure what the G2D number is.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
yours is 6 pt, mine is 12pt... I suppose that's why we have different part numbers... Both should work either way lol

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
I guess nobody has the plug socket from the toolkit? That works just fine. Just put the appropriate socked on the outer end and ratchet away.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine is an 85 VN700 that I bought used in Mexico... I don't think it's gonna come with the original toolkit lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
Most decent 3/8" drive 18mm deep well sockets should work just fine.
1/2" drive might be too thick.
Cheap Chinese might be too thick.

Size is definitely 18mm.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I tried many 3/8" 18mm sockets, none worked til I went and got the Sears one... not saying there aren't others that will work, but not just any will.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
the 5 digit sears number is specific to the part wether its from a catalog, a sears store or a sears hardware or even a sears dealer store. all craftsman products have a 3 digit dept number(which is usually not on the product but can be found on the box it came in, for example 009 071 059 might be for electrical, hardware, sporting goods) then followed by a 5 digit part number which is found on the product, sometimes it might be a 4 digit nuber but usually 5. I have done inventories for sear for 10 years and its the only part of that job I miss.
I love sears, I even make my milkshakes with a 19.2 volt cordless craftsmen drill with an egg beater in it!!!!!!!!
but I do hate their lawn and garden equipment, most of it is made by murray but parts are changed just enough so you have to order most of them through sears!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I really like Craftsman hand tools, but as wib714 indicated, I wouldn't give 13 cents in reamy script for their junky lawn equipment... As a matter of fact I thought I liked and wanted a stainless french door Kenmore refigerator they had on sale black Friday, but due to the junky stuff in lawn equipment I have seen, I didn't buy...lol...
Several years ago my father bought a Craftsman riding mower, big lawn & garden type, against my advice, I might add because I mowed a lot for him... That was one more P.O.S., and no way could you get the right part less than a 3rd try, no matter how many IDs SNs or PNs you gave Sears... I believe if it needed to be iron they would use tin, if it needed to be tin they would use aluminum foil...
Never the less, I think their hand tools are great, especially for the money...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts