Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, folks, it's totalled.

They said the engine and drive train are still in good shape, but the fork was mangled and where the fork attaches to the frame, the frame cracked in several places, so the whole frame would have to be replaced. Between that, the fork, the tank and the dozens of other miscellaneous things that got damaged or torn off, it's a total loss.

So, my options are 1) to take the full amount of what the insurance company offers and they take the bike, or 2) to keep the bike and take the amount the insurance company offers minus the salvage value of the bike.

Obviously, if I go with option 2), it's going to be a HUGE project to bring this bike back to life.

If I go with option 1) I could still buy a used bike and fix it up, but would be throwing away an apparently perfectly good engine (maybe I could buy it from the salvage yard?).

I love this bike and have put a lot of time into it recently, so I hate to see it go, but maybe it's got too much damage? I don't know what to do. I won't know the numbers from the insurance company until tomorrow, so that will obviously affect the decision, but what do you guys think?
 

·
HAWK
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
It would depend on the price they want for the bike.
If it is over $400 I would not take it.
You can get a good used motor for about that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
Thats a tough call, see what you get for option 1, if you're getting the shaft take the bike less salvage value and find another bike to put the drivetrain in or ante up a few more dollars out of your pocket and get another late model 750 if you want to stick with the 750.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,505 Posts
I dunno - a 55 mph spill and they say the engine's ok? There's a whole lot of little parts in there that probably were happy with the ride, but didn't enjoy the landing too much. I don't think that's a wager I'd be willing to make, especially since the additional cash (that is, whatever they'd post for salvage value) would go a long way towards a new(er) 750. I'd go see your baby one more time, say goodbye, take the cash, and start the search. You should be able to get a good deal on a late model 750, especially in the next month or so as folks are trying to unload what they couldn't in the spring (or bought bikes, tried the MSF course, decided riding wasn't for them...). Some of us in the area can keep an eye out on Craiglist, local papers for you, too - many eyes are better than one. :wow:
 

·
2FAS4U
Joined
·
469 Posts
I have a friend that just locked her engine up on an 03.
Let me know if there is any chance of getting the engine from the bike, and if you are willing to part with it.
 

·
Search Goddess
Joined
·
2,002 Posts
Cindy's right..
Chances are the shifter lever took a hit to and now has some play in it since a common thing that happens is the inner circlip gets popped out.
No biggy since the engine would be out of the frame.
My question is did they start the engine and try to shift it?

I'd probably opt for option 2 and take the money and the bike. A good working engine can sell for $600 especially if it has low miles. An older bike might be looking at a balancer replacement (seems like the 85-89s are starting to see some balancer grommet aging and wear)
Chances are you can part out the bike and make more money than what you paid for the salvage price.
Of course it all depends on how much ready cash you have for another bike and if you have the time and space to part out the salvage one.
One other thing to note
If the bike has been totalled then it now has a "salvage" title. Titles are done by the frame, not the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, thanks you guys for the great advice, as always. I was really deliberating about this and had myself convinced I was going to keep the bike and try to part it out myself. But, I got the numbers from the insurance co today.

They are offering me $5500 to just walk away from the bike. Considering I bought it for just over $6k, that seems pretty damn good to me. They estimate the salvage value at a little over $1400. That seems really high to me. Granted, it's got brand new Metzeler 880's on it and the engine looks pretty good, but I just can't see getting a lot more than $1400 by parting it out. (To answer Dianna's question, I don't know, but I don't think they started it and tried to shift). So, I'm giving up on the bike.

Relatedly, I went back to the doctors yesterday and I'm going to have to go through some physical therapy on my shoulder and knees. So, I probably won't replace the bike for a while. I'm thinking that when I do, I might get a VN750 that needs a lot of work and spend some time restoring it. If so, I'll probably be asking for a lot more advice :)

Anyway, thanks again for all of your help. I'll probably still be lurking around the forum for the fun of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
I think you did the right thing, that's what I would have done.....You got almost what you paid for it. Just be thankful that all you have to do is physical therapy, it could be worse....With that money you could get a pretty nice mid-90's or newer VN750 and put a lot into it, make it your own.....just glad to know your ok.
 

·
Search Goddess
Joined
·
2,002 Posts
Actually with that money you can darn near replace with a 2006 vn750.
Come fall there will be more on the market as some decide to sell rather than store..
Glad to hear it worked out for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
That's waht I would have probably done since it sounds like the only thing you could possibly have sold would have been the motor/transmisiion.

Also remember-- if you have any aftermarket assesories on the bike. i.e. saddle bags, saddlebag supports, volt meter, etc.-- ask the insurance adjuster if he included those in his estimate or if it was the bike only as from the factory. They uasually don't allow/consider these items and add them to the "totalled" value (unless you had an insurance rider for accessories or aftermarket). If there is anything aftermarket that is salvageable (to put on your new/replacement bike) ask him if you can remove it from the bike before they take possession if it is not included in their estimate.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,505 Posts
Good deal - I think your decision's a good one, and Diana's right about some 06s coming onto the market in the fall and likely within that price range.

Good luck with your PT!!
 

·
Rider on the Storm
Joined
·
1,287 Posts
You have definitely made a good decision. I bought my VN 750 new in 2006, on sale, for less than $6,000. I bet you can find a good late-model Vulcan and buy it with the $5,500 insurance payout.

As for the physical therapy ~ stay with it! It's boring and sometimes painful, but you'll be glad you did it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
i would take option #1 and forget about that engine. a 55 mph spill is not good for anything. if you still want a 750 late model, then watch ebay, craigslist & cycletrader. i bet within 3 months you would find another.

P.S. glad you are OK J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
You made the right call on that.They were really fair with that offer.Im glad you came away from that accident in not to bad of shape.All in all I hope what ever the outcome is it will work for you.Good Luck........................
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
382 Posts
There are still a few brand new 2006s out there. For example, Belle Fourche SD still had one on the showroom floor when I had to get a speedo cable (which they had in stock) last week. The sticker on the bike showed they were asking $5999.

If your body was in better shape, that would be a great opportunity to get the bike, attend the Sturgis rally, and ride it back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn, that's tempting. I had hoped to ride out to Sturgis and back some time. Sure would be easier to make the trip only one way. Gonna be a little while before I'm in riding shape though.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top