Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone refresh my memory on what year they started putting the heavier internal shift rods in our bikes? Tried a search will no success.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheapcycleparts and others used to list the old number (and it's replacement) on their parts diagrams for the older bikes, but now they just show the newer part. Was wondering what year they made the change as I'd like to get a used one and need to know when the change was made.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey fc, I read somewhere the model year that the shift shaft was upgraded.
I remember it because it was the same model year as my bike, a 1991.
So, anyone with a 1991 model or later should have the heavier shaft. (~8 mm diameter compared to the earlier ~5 mm shaft)

EDIT: Picture of both rods in Roach`s video to compare diameter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ib5k7Fa1Q

There was someone on here who replaced that shaft this summer without splitting the engine case, but their identity eludes me at the moment. :(

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, OH! Picture is worth a thousand words! IIRC, 91 is also when they switched from a rectangular master cylinder to a round one.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks, OH! Picture is worth a thousand words! IIRC, 91 is also when they switched from a rectangular master cylinder to a round one.
Right you are sir, about the master cylinders. :)

·
Banned
448 Posts
I want to know how to change the shaft w/o splitting the cases. I have both my side cases off of the engine, and the shift shaft is nowhere to be seen.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The shift rod is not the same thing as the shift shaft. The rod they replaced with a heavier one is inside the cases, and you have to split the cases to get to it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think I have one of the newer ones out in the garage somewhere if anyone needs it.
Free to a good home if I can find it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
and that is a picture of the old style rod.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I don't understand why they broke. If that is the original rod, it appears to be the same size as the external shift linkage rods on many bikes I have owned, including my former Ninja 500, and my Honda Rebel 250, and my Yamaha XT225. I especially like dirt bikes that have an external rod linkage, because if you drop the bike on the left side and it hits the shifter, it will just bend the shifter, not force the actual shift shaft back inside the engine, requiring a complete engine teardown to repair.

·
Banned
448 Posts
I stand corrected. I misread the post, and I know about the difference between the shift shaft, and shift rod. I can see the shift shaft being replaced w/o splitting the cases. Guess I need to get my old man glasses. :)
I agree Jerry. The fact that the rods break is a weak point in the system.
The only reason I can see them breaking is the fact there is a beefy shift shaft that goes to a smaller shift rod, and if the linkage is sticky, a rider will most likely push harder on it to get it to downshift, and snap the rod. IMO
I know that several riders have had issues with the bike getting stuck either in gear, or neutral, and myself would probably smack the shifter with my size 12 boot, hence breaking the rod. :(

·
Registered
856 Posts
I've heard of similar issue with toe/heel shifters where the rider stomps just a little too hard with their heel and *snap*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts