Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an 89 vn750 about a month ago. Been playing with it alot. Sat for eight months before I got it. Got the carbs cleaned and bench synced, ran great for awhile. Ordered a new gas tank as the one on it had pinholes. Got that installed along with another carb cleaning to go along with new jets and seals yesterday. Pulled off the emmisions stuff today cause from what I've been reading its not necessary. Ran the bike a little, felt really good, powerful and quick. Then it started bogging down till eventually won't start. When trying to crank no fuel coming out of petcock. Petcock vac line is running to carb beneath it. Opposing carb is plugged. Dont know what I need to do with vent at bottom of tank, vent by fuel sensor, or the hose that comes to a T right above the carbs that attaches to the piece in between them. I think the hose in the T or petcock is my problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New to forums. Found one that addressed the hoses I had in question. Which really only leaves the petcock. Ima try to sort that out tonight. I also put screws in all the holes by the gas cap, thinking maybe I should pull the center o e out so it can breath??

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Just ditch that petcock and get the tw200. Simpler and no vacuum ($14). Then clean the vent at the filler by blowing pressurized air into that little hole and making sure the cap is clean (See POOGS).

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you put a screw in the middle hole of the gas cap, definitely remove that. That center hole is the vent that runs to the hose that come out under your bike. You need that to be open to allow gas to flow through the petcock. Also check out POOGS like Goofyfoot said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the petcock switch recommendation! Also on POOGS. I think that is at the very least a contributer toy issue. I'd seen that word popping up but didn't know what it was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resolved!!

Turns out the tank needs to vent haha. Running like a champ!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The petcock tends to fail if you are using ethanol fuel. It melts the rubber parts. It can be rebuilt fairly cheaply. If an alternative is available, that works too.

Which tank do you have? The CA tank has 2 fittings at the back, under the front of the seat, all the rest only have one. The emissions crap is indeed garbage, and needs to be removed. If you have a CA model there is a ton of it, and a couple of holes in the airbox that will need to be plugged.

On the fuel cap, I took mine apart, and removed all the crap inside (also part of the emissions system) That little rubber grommet near the back of the fuel filler is the tank vent. It connects to the fitting on the rear end of the tank. Ethanol has a tendency to turn these into mush, which blocks off the vent. ALL fuel tanks should be vented directly to the atmosphere.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Since you are new how about doing an introduction under the Newbie heading and tell us a little bit about yourself such as your riding and wrenching experience plus your location. Give us a chance to get to know you since you already received some valuable information here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts