Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 94 vn750. I just picked it up a little over a month or so ago. I am a full-time rider. I do not own anything except my 2 bikes. The other day I rode to the Kawi Dealer to pick-up my K&N filters. Came out and "CLick" won't start. I get a push start and off I go. About 1 mile and one by one I start losing electrical power. A buddy comes by in his truck and i put the jumper cables on it for about 10 minutes. Hopped on the bike and rode it home. I charged the battery overnight, and off I went to work. Got a 15$ Voltmeter at Autozone. Wired it through the factory supplied aux power behind headlight.(i know not the ideal method but it got me something). Much to my dis-may I was 12.5volts with key off, 10.5 volts idling and never even close to 12 while revving. So, I am getting prepared for the wonderful Stator swap. The bike has 21000 miles and from what I have read that's about average. I have read the verses and all the threads and I am confident I can pull this off. I was just looking for any updated places to get the stator and r/r, or if I should just ebay it. I am also considering Painting the motor black while I have it out. Has anyone painted there motor? anyway, tips would greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
The very best stator you can get is from Tim Parrot, who will rewind your original stator to better than factory specs. I don't have him bookmarked, but if you look under the equipment or electrical sections of the forum, you should find him. I believe he has an ongoing auction/buy it now on ebay wheree you can buy the service for around $65 or so, far less than a factory stator. Can't emphasize strongly enough, DON'T BUY AN ELECTROSPORT (sp?) STATOR. A member here recently installed one and it lasted 140 miles!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Painting the engine black... look up pics of VN700's they were all black. same engines as the vn750, just smaller jugs. as for the stator, i agree with flight get a TPE stator rewind from Tim it is cheaper than most brand new ones, and a whole lot better product than anything else on the market for our bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Before I pulled the engine I would make sure the stator is indeed bad,have you tested your stator for AC output and that it isn't shorted to ground? I had the same problem and mine was just a Bad r/r.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So.........I got home today and I decided to check my connections on the R/R. I pull the plug out and it is all burnt. I notice that there are 6 wires going in to the harness, only 5 leads on the R/R. I am assuming thats not normal. Looks like the guy let the last battery drain right on the R/R. If I had not of just bought it eveyone could say I told you so. lol. I have been riding this thing for a month, everyday. close to 1000 miles. Could this have been bad the whole time? thats a long way to go. I am putting R/R on the top of my very long list. CUrrently I get 90 miles to a tank and it pops like crazy on decel. I am going through the carbs next. Does it ever stop? LOL.

·
rkcdude
30 Posts
Yeah I am the one with the bum new stator that crapped out in 140 miles... DON'T buy the electrosport stuff.... Do you know what's involved in 2 ENGINE PULLS for this crap???? I am getting the one from this Tim guy and I HOPE it's better. Many here swear by his stuff and I am going to plead that I am from from Missouri and "show me" first but it seems the way to go... All I know is that my new bike needs a name according to Ron and can't come up with one yet but "money pit", "old ball and chain" etc seem to come to mind...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the madness 94. Sorry about your "baptism by fire" introduction to the the vn750. Or more accurately your r/r`s baptism by battery acid by cheap PO. 8(

I envy you, your location, where you can ride year around. It is good you have two bikes. What is your other ride?

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
mine has a name but i am not trying to be banned

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
theres a stator walkthrough in my sig line if you have to go that route that may help you some!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So its the end of the day on Sunday, and I am half done with my stator project. Motor is completely out and I painted my motor Flat Black. I am waiting on parts or I would have put it back together. I haven't run into too much trouble, actually getting the motor free from the frame was a little trickier than I thought it was going to be. I probably got 8 hours in it, and its painted. Not too bad. I have been taking my time and doing other things as well. I can't wait to ride My VN again! My back-up bike is a 250cc, it torture.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It may be torture but it`s light years ahead of walking!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts