Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been over 30 years since I've owned a bike & this is my 1st street bike.

Found it on Craigslist for $1300 with 14k miles on. It had been sitting for 5 years. After new plugs, battery, tires & changing fluids she is running great.

My wife & boys all want to learn how to ride so this will be our training bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
welcome to the fourm from ohio. nice looking ride. lots of helpful people here and lots of info on about anything you need to know

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness Mr Monte. That is a nice looking bike. It looks like the previous owner has cleaned up rust off the speedo and tach rings, and painted them black. There have been several other members here who have done the same, and posted pics of the process and results. I need to clean a little rust off of mine and either polish and wax them, or paint like yours.

The vn750 is my first bike after having a mc licence for 41 years. It has a lot of power for someone who is just learning to ride, as you say your wife and sons want to do. You do not indicate the age or physical size/height of any of the prospective new riders. It may or may not be the "ideal" motorcycle to learn on, depending on several factors, in my humble opinion. For instance:
-Does the newbie have any experience with a manual transmission and clutch in an automobile.
-While sitting on the seat, can the new rider comfortably reach the ground with both feet.
-Does the new rider have sufficient strength to catch, stop, and push the bike back up with one leg from a 45* lean angle, when they lose their balance at a stop or slow speed. I mention this, only because it is inevitable that a new rider will lose their balance occasionally while learning to use the friction zone in moving off, negotiating the slow cone weave, the figure eight, U-turns and other slow speed manouvers.

The stock vn750 weighs about #500, ready to ride. The MSF Beginner Riding Course seems to use bikes such as the Honda Rebel 250cc, which I suppose weighs about #300, and is much easier for a learning rider to recover from a mistake.

Please do not take this in any way as trying to dicourage you or your family from learning to ride the Vulcan 750. I only offer you a "heads up", that you may want them to look at learning the basics on a smaller bike, and getting some experience before transfering that knowledge to the VN. You don`t want really want them to scratch up that pristine paint on your VN now, do you?

Here is a link to another mc site which, among other things, has about 250 safety tips, some of which I`m sure you will find interesting and instructive.
http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=1

Here are a couple of specific tips regarding squeezing both levers to keep or REGAIN control of your motorcycle:
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=177&Set=
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=191&Set=

Wishing all your family many happy miles in the saddle.

·
2,527 Posts
Looks like you got a good one there. Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My boys are 19 & 21 and my wife is 5" 8 1/2" tall, thin build but very strong for her size so after looking at several bikes the VN750 seamed to be the best fit.

They have enrolled in a 3 day motorcycle safety class next month. I'm using this bike to get them some experiance with the controls, starting, stopping & turning of a motorcycle.

They all have been quick learners and mastered smooth take offs & stops the 1st outing but we are keep our practice to an industrial park during off hours.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It sounds like you`re doing all the right things to get started. Just emphasize to them all, that if at any time they feel like they are getting out of control, PULL BOTH LEVERS IN. With the clutch in the motor can`t run away with them into an obstacle. With the brake applied the bike will stop and can`t roll away. If they are feeling shakey or spooked at that time, and not ready to move off again, learn to thumb the engine kill switch by feel, without looking for it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Welcome! Now get some rain gear ;-)

That is a nice find, where you at? There are a few members in Southwest Wash and Oregon that endure the rainy season (9 months right?) on our bikes. I try to ride every day to work - stupid crazy I-5 - but I enjoy it so much I don't like to drive my cage.

DT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! Now get some rain gear ;-)

That is a nice find, where you at? There are a few members in Southwest Wash and Oregon that endure the rainy season (9 months right?) on our bikes. I try to ride every day to work - stupid crazy I-5 - but I enjoy it so much I don't like to drive my cage.

DT
I'm in Sherwood, about 20 mins from Portland (no traffic).

Instead of a rain suit I was thinking about just taking a shower in Rain-X 9 months of the year.:motorcycl

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Welcome. Hope you and the family have many safe miles on the Vulcan.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm in Sherwood, about 20 mins from Portland (no traffic).
Welcome! Lots of great riding around Portland; Rte 224, old Rte 30 through the Gorge, Rte 14 in Washington, Rt 213/214, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Sauvie Island, etc.

I'm in NW Portland and the VN750 is my first bike (purchased last year), so I'm still a bit green. I "try" to get out once a week, mostly Sunday mornings. Hit me up if you want someone to ride with on the weekends (I'm due for a Rte 224 run down to Detroit). Also, look into the MeetUp.com group The Portland Road Runners. They sponsor group rides, very well organized and rides for every skill level. Another great take (and free) is the Doc Wong Clinic, held first Sunday of each month in Beaverton. You kids would love it. It is geared more for sport bikers, but there are always a few of us cruisers in the group. One hour technique clinic, followed by a very twistie ride along Bald Hill Road with personal instruction.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Welcome! Lots of great riding around Portland; Rte 224, old Rte 30 through the Gorge, Rte 14 in Washington, Rt 213/214, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Sauvie Island, etc.
How about:

• HWY 26 west to Tillamook then 101 north or south (visit the cheese factory)
  • I agree, Spirit Lake HWY to Mt. St. Helens (I did this last weekend - chilly ride) is a great ride.
  • Long day ride: 101 north around the Olympic Peninsula and back home or do a camp out.
DT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts