Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the 06 Vulcan 750 at Bucks County Kawasaki, Bristol, PA last night! 20 miles home and 80 for work today. I am really a new rider even though I had an 81 yamaha virago 2 years ago as it died after a month and I just couldnt fix it.
Although I didnt stall out on this bike like I did when I had the last one, my downshifting timing needs a lot of improvement.
100 miles and my gas gauge reads at half. Is this the kind of MPG I should average at or will going above 4k rpm really effect it?
I cant wait till the break in period is over, doing only 60 on 295 is a bit dangerous but I dont want my engine to break down instead of break in.
Almost all my co-workers who ride own Harleys but they all seemed to give the VN750 praises.
Only thing that got to me was the "Good luck" I kept getting, is this a standard response for a new bike/biker or what :)

I am already looking for accesories like bags, raingear and I really want floorboards as my right foor can't rest comfortable without going too far toward the break. I stick my left under the shifter.

Ohh yeah that reminds me any other new riders get sore thighs holding their legs in?

Ohh big props to Bucks on price and service... I visted several dealerships and called at least 10. They were the only ones to quote me under msrp, split the destination and significally drop on the 3yr extended warranty. They are a little busy but Martin, my salesman really knows his stuff and wasn't the overbearing pushy sales guy that is so often present in dealerships.
Big thanks to Tod, their techie, who went over the bike and refreshed me on basic riding tips before I took off!

I am really happy to be a VN750 owner/rider and thank you all as your discussions pointed me in the right direction and assured a real newbie that I could buy without ever even riding one!

·
Geek
872 Posts
Hey, welcome. I'm up north in Lawrenceville. When you get over 4 grand the mileage does go down a little. Happy cruising.

·
Registered
35 Posts
south jersey

Does anyone living in South Jersey have an interest in riding?Just got my 1995 VN759 with 5000 miles and looking to ride a little :rockon:

·
Geek
872 Posts
I"m near Trenton, where are you ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome jtabaco, this forum is a goldmine for knowledge and friendliness, don't be afraid to ask any questions, or to share what you do with/to your new bike!

and keep the shiny side up!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
welcome to the forums, vast of great info on your bike here and great people to help.
should be getting between 45 - 55 mpg depending on how you ride. once you get past that halfway point your gauge will probably drop pretty quick too. 130 miles and its time to find a gas station.

·
D2u
175 Posts
welcome to the group

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Picked up the 06 Vulcan 750 at Bucks County Kawasaki, Bristol, PA last night! 20 miles home and 80 for work today. I am really a new rider even though I had an 81 yamaha virago 2 years ago as it died after a month and I just couldnt fix it.
Although I didnt stall out on this bike like I did when I had the last one, my downshifting timing needs a lot of improvement.
100 miles and my gas gauge reads at half. Is this the kind of MPG I should average at or will going above 4k rpm really effect it?
I cant wait till the break in period is over, doing only 60 on 295 is a bit dangerous but I dont want my engine to break down instead of break in.
Almost all my co-workers who ride own Harleys but they all seemed to give the VN750 praises.
Only thing that got to me was the "Good luck" I kept getting, is this a standard response for a new bike/biker or what :)
OK, I know this is a three year old post, and nobody is buying a brand new vn750 any more, but his this thread in the verses was a real eye opener to me a few months ago when I first read it. I remember from my younger years that motorheads I grew up with debated how to break in a new engine. It was 'BABY IT" vs "DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT". The baby it side seemed to make the most sense to me, until I read this thread. The author explains why it is best to break in any new engine by "DRIVING IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT". If I ever buy a new automobile or bike, I will follow his advice. Just my 2 cents worth. See what you think.:smiley_th

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
17 posts in three years. I wonder what happened to the guy.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Ok so its prolly not relevant anymore but if South Jersey is putting a ride together, I'd be in. I'm right over in Philly but I have house at the shore in Wildwood NJ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts