Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive done some searchin but cant find a real answer

what is marbling and what does it do to the motor?
what is coastering and what does it do ?

how do you do each and what benifits are there to them

also is the ear shave better for the engine than leaving it stock

sorry about the newbie question but i just got my bike and it pretty much stock minus the parts to repair the damage done by the PO

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
ok ive done some searchin but cant find a real answer

what is marbling and what does it do to the motor?
what is coastering and what does it do ?

how do you do each and what benifits are there to them

also is the ear shave better for the engine than leaving it stock

sorry about the newbie question but i just got my bike and it pretty much stock minus the parts to repair the damage done by the PO
Marbling and coastering are the same thing. Both block air getting to the reed valves. It does eliminate backfiring on deceleration. It helps to back out your air/fuel mixture screws out to 2 1/2-3 turns also. Ear shave might be better but you have to rejet.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Marbling or coastering are two different methods of blocking off fresh air from the emmissions control system from getting to the exhaust header, and cutting down or stopping the popping when decelerating.
Link to Vulcan Verses:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1083

The ear shave is often done for esthetics, and also is a way to increase power (and maybe decrease fuel economy). Probably not better or worse for the engine than running it stock.

Removing the black plastic airbox from under the tank also makes it easier to remove the carbs for cleaning, service or rejetting etc.

IMHO if this is your first bike, marble the reed valves for now.

Then ride for a few months as it is to decide what you like,... and what you want to change to make the scoot your own.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
marbeling and coastering are two ways of achieving the same end result.. blocking off air flow to the reed valves.. thus eliminating the lean mixture inside the pipes causing the annoying backfire. The ear shve is a performance mod. combine it with gaping the pick up coils and removing the H-Box (goats belly) you will have one fast machine. I used to scoff at such ideas, but after have doing all the above mods to my bike I have noticed considerable HOP gains, at the loss of a couple MPGs... weather the earshave is good for the engine.. I would suspect so... as long as it is tuned right with the propper jets and the proper air mixture screw settings. The better an engine breaths, the healthier it is.

·
Registered
223 Posts

They have given you pretty good advice, marbleing is best because you can return it to stock. As far as the ear shave definately wait untill you're used to the bike then decide. It does improove the acceleration and I think it adds 4-5 hp at the rear wheel but not positive. The picture shows my coaster on the front cyclinder (the plate inbetween the cables and plug wire) and the filter for my carb after the ear shave. Coastering or marbleing are pretty sumple but the ear shave and rejett take some time and knowledge of the machine.

·
knees in the breeze!!!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info as of now i am just getting the parts in to get it back to good shape
the dash was destroyed and some cables broke but ist getting there
im just getting advice and opinoins for future things
as i dont have a tach yet couldnt tell you what my mpgs are but im sure its ok
got the new dash in but am going to put in leds before install

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
I as well benefitted from this post thanks Tof

C

This must be in the carbs section of the verses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts