Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody. I have a 91 vn 750 9000 miles love the bike. I need some saddle bags. I'm looking at leather soft bags. What size do i need and do I need the brackets also.
help
kawidave

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you do a search for saddlebags, there's quite a bit of information here. I would recommend the brackets as a minimum, and if you want medium to larger bags, you may need the taillight relocation bracket too. I believe lance328 builds a custom set that may be cheaper than the Kawasaki brackets and kit.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have both the Kawasaki bolt on saddlebag brackets, which also relocate the turn signals, and the heavy leather bolt on saddlebags sold by Kawasaki and made by Auburn leather. On my first Vulcan 750 (yep, I'm on my second one, both bought new), I had the same Kawasaki saddlebag brackets/turn signal relocators, but used a "then" cheap set of Willie&Max Compact slant bags, took a seam ripper, and painstakingly removed every single stitch that held the yokes to the bags, made holes in the back of the bags, installed a plastic stiffening panel inside the bags, and bolted them onto the brackets.

I have saddlebags on my Honda Rebel, without supports, but the chain guard on one side and the brake rod on the other keep them out of the rear wheel. On the Vulcan 750, you will need some kind of supports. If you intend to use the throwover style with the yoke, you will need to do some searching to find some that fit, or find someone on here with bags of that type that fit. I was unable to make the W&M bags fit with the yoke, which is why I wound up converting them to bolt on. Jerry.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness kawidvae69. (Is that a typo dave? Might want to correct it soon, if it is). Do a search on saddlebags, you might find more info there. Not sure if the Vulcan verses have anything on that topic or not.

I know you said you are looking for leather bags, but here is a write-up with pictures on installing some less expensive hardbags, if cost was the reason for going to soft leather bags. In any case, it may help you see what size bags you want to put on.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9851

BTW, congrats on the `91 VN750. Others may disagree, but you and I know they have the fastest colors!! <BG>

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Welcome to the group, there are many different size bags, if you move the turnsignals it will open up more bag choices.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Welcome to the group, there are many different size bags, if you move the turnsignals it will open up more bag choices.

"If you move the turn signals" That is the key to making saddlebags fit the Vulcan 750 properly, and why I recommend the Kawasaki saddlebag support/turn signal relocator brackets. They are not cheap, but will out last the bike. You might be able to find some used ones. These brackets will work with hundreds of different styles of bags, throwover bags, bolt on bags, even hard bags. If you intend for saddlebags to be a permanent addition to your bike, these are a good way to go, and if you decide to change bags later on, these brackets will work with the new bags too. Jerry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for all the info. As always you guys are right on it. I believe I have some thinking and research to do.
rubber side down

·
Registered
48 Posts
OlHoss, looks like you have made a typo also, the correct spelling is colours. Just kidding, welcome aboard kawidvae69 there is a lot of information on this site and a lot of people willing to help out. Good luck with the bags and let us know how it ends up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The best place in the Whole Wide world for VN750 information.

Cdaddy. Nice that you can spell colour correctly, now can we start work on the spelling of tyres.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The best place in the Whole Wide world for VN750 information.

Cdaddy. Nice that you can spell colour correctly, now can we start work on the spelling of tyres.
tell him cdaddy if he learns the proper pronunciation of aluminum and schedule we will concede to tyres,LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts