Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well - a friend of mine gave me a windshield for my '04 last week.
I have never had a windshield before - figured they were just something else to put on the bike - but wow - highway riding is a breeze (no pun intended) now. and riding in the rain is not such a big deal any more. :smiley_th I'll have to post a picture tomorrow after it gets light enough to take one.

Who'd a figured?

I think I am addicted to them now. I use my bike to commute almost every day.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Have a small screen on my 04, had since July 1st 11, have not taken a bug to the face yet. Legs are a different story!

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Lilburn is not far from me, maybe we'll see each other on the road sometime.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are a few of us over on this side of town probably will see you around

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Windshields can be good, bad, or do nothing. I had a super bad on on my Vulcan a couple of years ago. I got so much helmet buffeting it blew my face shield open and broke it. It also tried to blow my helmet off and almost strangled me with the strap. It caught the wind like a giant sail, and caused severe headshake. I almost crashed more than once because it literally took over control of the bike. It was a Memphis Shades Slim, which bolted on using bike specific hardware. While it bolted on fine, it was unusable and downright dangerous. I guess they never actually tried it to see if it would actually work on that particular bike.

I replaced it with another Memphis Shades, this time a "Shooter" model with universal fit. It is much smaller, but very high quality. Memphis Shades does make quality products, but quality doesn't matter much if it won't work on the bike. The new windshield is so small it really makes no noticeable difference, but it looks good.

Then there is my '85 Goldwing. Now there is a windshield that works. It's like riding in a car. No buffeting, no problems with wind blowing the bike all over the place. Of course it is not a handlebar mounted shield, and is part of a large fairing with lowers which Honda probably designed in a wind tunnel. Whatever, they got it right. That is if you WANT to feel like you are in a car while riding your motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I have never had a windshield before - ...
Count me as another addict. I don't think I'd ever own a bike that didn't have one now. (BTW.. Be nice if you could find out what kind of windscreen it is)

And I have ridden a Goldwing...they are nothing like being in a car. Even with the top down on my MX5 it still offers more protection and comfort than a GW.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have never had a windshield before - figured they were just something else to put on the bike - but wow - highway riding is a breeze (no pun intended) now. and riding in the rain is not such a big deal any more. :smiley_th I'll have to post a picture tomorrow after it gets light enough to take one.

Who'd a figured?

yeah,,i always said that screens were for the old men !,but having got myself one cheap,i fitted it and think its great,,wind/rain reduction is fantastic !. I keep it well waxed and the rain just runs strait off it,,this was a concern to me because i can not see over the top of it,,but no worries,i dont need to !. mind you i aint tried it in fog yet !!!.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am having a hard time finding a windshield that works good on my vulcan 750's. I have aftermarket handle bars that are just curved a little bit. I tried one company off of ebay and it was just terrible. Said 7/8 and 1 inch bars it mounts to. It mounted to it but broke within a week because it was made cheaply.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the small Kawi windshield to begin with but have recently installed a Plexis III and really love it.
It makes the 750 almost as comfortable as my Voyager XII. It was money well spent to install the larger windshield.

Rain, bug nor big truck are no issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Just wanted to add that both sheilds I had on my Vulcan were great, but both took some fiddling with lessen or eliminate some unwanted turbulence.

I had a Memphis Shades "Hellcat" and a National Cycle "Plexistar 2"
Photo:
http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifemaker1954/1490861142/in/photostream/

The Hellcat at first seemed fine, untill I hit three digit speeds, where it caused a weird vibration in the bars. Tilting it back a whole inch solved the problem.

The PS2 took several tries to get rid of some bad buffeting. What worked for me was to lower the headlight an inch, and mount the windscreen slightly tipped forward with it just abit higher above the light.

I also should point out that some helmet buffeting was curred by simply changing helmets. This was true between the bikes...my Fulmer with the dragon graphics was great on my Vulcan, but horrible on the FJR. And my KBC was OK on the Yamaha but not very good on the Vulcan.

All this means is if you get some buffeting... Try moving the screen around and also try switching helmets....

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
I agree with KN in a couple areas, I have 2 helments and both act differently. One I call a semi full (covers my ears ) tends to get a lot of turbalance in my eyes even with the windscreen. My winter helment is a full face and gets no wind at all, can ride with face shield up and get no turb. Also had to adjust the windscreen, took a couple rides and a lot of adjustment to get it where I thought was right for me. Later may go to a larger windscreen, but for now----

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
The windshield that was given to me is a national cycle street shield ex.
Ah, very simular to the MS Hellcat. If you get some shake at higher speeds, try putting some rubber edge trim where it comes against the top of the headlight bucket and push it down do it actually touches the bucket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts