Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Ladies and Gents,
I pulled the trigger. I am now the owner of a 2011 Vstrom 650 with ABS (white mostly with some black). I will post pics at some point. I test road one at the Suzuki dealer and it was everything I had read about online.
Purrs like an electric bike. ABS. Upright riding position and not on my tailbone. I am still breaking it in...can't go over 5,000 rpm for 500 miles. I have about 180 miles since saturday afternoon when I bought it.
Price tag was about 8000 but with all the crazy fees and taxes..more like 9,000. Then they gave me 2,000 for Rocinante my Vulcan 750. Then I ordered up some mods like back off, modulator, heated grips, and disc brake pin lock.
With the maintenance plan and warranty about 200$ a month.
5 years unlimited mileage warranty. 3 years all maintenance parts and labor covered. All I have to do is ride! I will be going back to the dealer to swap out the corbin seat with stock and to get my gps mount back. I will be trying to sell one of you guys the corbin if you want. Also, I have contracts with Lance for Lance supports and cooler regulator pending. So if anyone wants to buy them I am cool with that. I also have the mutazu bags that were going to go with the Lance supports. I will be selling off all vulcan 750 parts and accessories at some point. Especially if you live near me ..you might get a great deal cuz i don't have to ship. Thanks for all the input on the Vulcan and new ride and I will surely be lurking of course. I figured I needed to trade the vulcan in before something occurred or i put way more miles on it. You guys have really helped me with this whole motorcycle addiction ...great therapy!

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
PM sent.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Motoman`s break-in secrets

Well Ladies and Gents,
I pulled the trigger. I am now the owner of a 2011 Vstrom 650.......I am still breaking it in...can't go over 5,000 rpm for 500 miles. I have about 180 miles since saturday afternoon when I bought it.
You may have driven the new V-Strom too far already, to get the full benefit from MOTOMAN`S recommended break-in procedure. Read this over anyway to see if you agree with his methods. According to this article the manufacturer`s recommended break-in procedure is for liability reasons, not to provide the consumer with the longest lasting and most powerful engine possible.:mad:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

BTW, congrats on the new scoot. What is the redline on the V-Strom?

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
:worthless
Please!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may have driven the new V-Strom too far already, to get the full benefit from MOTOMAN`S recommended break-in procedure. Read this over anyway to see if you agree with his methods. According to this article the manufacturer`s recommended break-in procedure is for liability reasons, not to provide the consumer with the longest lasting and most powerful engine possible.:mad:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

BTW, congrats on the new scoot. What is the redline on the V-Strom?
I think redline is like 10,000. It does 65mph at 5000 rpm. Thanks for the link !:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also have to specifically thank the great Professor Lance for all his help and guiding me with the best way to work on my bike and being such a hard working guy. He is a great influence on a new guy like me.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Yo....they're great bikes. I gather these still come with a centerstand, too--nice! You should have lots of fun with this one over time. Congrats!

The ABS option purchase was a really smart move. If you have a bad day and grab too much front brake, it could easily save you a ride in a meatwagon.

Please post pics of your new Suz when you get a chance....:beerchug:

Be good to your new bike's chain, especially. Check out the different options in on-board chain oilers. I'm sure the Vstrom forum world has some good threads on this topic by now...:smiley_th

·
Registered
244 Posts
Congrats on the new scoot!

Eh, if you've got a rear rack... I've been looking for one. :)

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,824 Posts
First off...Congrats on the new ride. Am sure you will be very happy with your purchase. Don't forget about us here, be sure to tune in time to time.

2nd. I think Motomans break in has some flaws. It might have a few logical ideas behind it, however it has been my experiance over my 40 years dealing with bikes that most folks just do not understand the reccomended break in, and parts of Motomans break in is in fact saying the same thing.

So in my view, the proper way to "break in" a new motor is a mix of the two methods.

My basic arguement over the motoman method is all he seems concerned with is piston ring seal. And does not seem to figure in valves, camshaft surfaces,transmission gears, and clutch parts. There is more to breaking in a motor than piston rings.

Anyway....photos would be nice....

KM

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am planning on banging in to work tonight since everyone else banged in on me today (due to the arctic freaking storm) so I should have time for a photo shoot!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off...Congrats on the new ride. Am sure you will be very happy with your purchase. Don't forget about us here, be sure to tune in time to time.

2nd. I think Motomans break in has some flaws. It might have a few logical ideas behind it, however it has been my experiance over my 40 years dealing with bikes that most folks just do not understand the reccomended break in, and parts of Motomans break in is in fact saying the same thing.

So in my view, the proper way to "break in" a new motor is a mix of the two methods.

My basic arguement over the motoman method is all he seems concerned with is piston ring seal. And does not seem to figure in valves, camshaft surfaces,transmission gears, and clutch parts. There is more to breaking in a motor than piston rings.

Anyway....photos would be nice....

KM
The way I learned was to drive at varied speeds and allow the deceleration or engine breaking to take place as well. I don't think Suzuki would do 600miles if it meant damaging the engine(and resulting warranty claim).

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Sweet ride! Love the white. Although the 2009 orange makes me drool too.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Great looking bike! I still like my Vulcan cruiser, though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts