Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my new $19.95 volt meter from racetechelectric.com installed...nice. They have 2 different faces, black and silver. The silver looks like OEM equipment on our bikes.
Super easy to install.(see pics)
For the positive lead I used an empty accessories terminal on the fuse box which is switched on with the ignition. This is close to the battery and gives accurate battery voltage readings. It's the second one down from the top. Stripped the insulation off a female crimp on spade terminal so it would fit in the connector. Inserted it into the empty terminal hole in the fuse box connector then grounded the negative end on a chassis bolt. (see red arrows) Ran wires behind the dash panel, under the tank and back to the fuse box. Attached the meter with some super weatherstrip adhesive. No more guessing what my charging system is doing.

note: the electrical connector that plugs into the fuse box will only allow the individual wire terminals to go in 1 way. Look inside the plug to see which way it goes. The OEM wire terminals in the connector have lock tabs to keep them from backing out of the connector while plugging into the fuse box...the generic terminal I used (in the photo) does not. So once you push the connector into the fuse box, use something like a small screw driver to push the volt meter positive terminal back into the connector and into the fuse box mating terminal.

note#2: I tried using a relay instead of the direct off the accessories connection mentioned above. It gave me a much better reading on this meter...more accurate. Seemed to have some voltage drop when running through just the ignition accessories from the fuse box. I used instead the accessories to "switch" the relay and the LIVE battery accessories wires supplied from Kaw under the right side cover. A $4 relay from Advance auto worked great. Confused? PM me and I'd be happy to supply help and pics!

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

·
Registered
941 Posts
Pretty cool man. Did you attach it to the dash panel or the handlebar clamp/cover?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Pretty cool man. Did you attach it to the dash panel or the handlebar clamp/cover?
Good question, I too am curious, unable to tell by the pic.
tia
:smiley_th x2

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's attached to the handle bar clamp. That adhesive works very well. Got it from Advance auto in 1oz. tube for about $4. Only took a smidgen!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roughed up the bottom of the meter and the handle bar clamp a little with scotch brite to give the adhesive something to grab on to. Used electrical tape to hold the meter in place while the adhesive setup over night.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Nice !!!!!.....:smiley_th

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having connected up my volt meter, I noticed a substantial voltage drop to the meter, most likely because the fuse box accessory plug I used is switched through the ignition switch. Soooo...I installed a relay. Using the always hot (+-) leads under the right side cover to the relay and using the switched accessory terminal from the fuse box to turn it on. I connected the volt meter to the relay output and now have zero drop. I get the same meter reading using the relay as I do connecting the meter directly to the battery. Relay was under $5 from Advance Auto.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I have a question Chiller; you stated that the Accessory leads are switched inside the fuse box. after rebuilding about 20 said Junction Boxes, I know for a fact that the accessory leads are in fact directly from the battery, and are only 10 amp fused. so my question is... did you use the white/blue strip and black/yellow striped accessory leads?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts