Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vulcan's been sitting for awhile. Yes, I know, bad girl. I bought a set of (new to me) carbs that were cleaned before shipping. I took it to a guy to have the carbs put on and he told me that there's rust in my gas tank. Should I buy a (new to me ) tank or is there a way to salvage mine? Does anyone have one for sale? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Summer

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
long time no see.there's a few threads in the Vulcan Verses. I'm trying to find one on electrolysis used to clean the rust up but haven't found it yet, but I will later

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I do have a 2003 tank, burgundy/gray metallic, clean inside /out, except the left side has a knee dent and a fall over on the trailer crease. Took it off last Spring. I always parked the good side out, and pretended my leg covered the dents.

New tanks go $250-400 on ebay. I was able to find a new black/silver met., factory sealed.

Doc remember that thread last month, the guy was trying the electrolysis, we told him to make sure the bolt didn't touch the tank. He had a forum link to some of the electrolysis info, thought that link was in the Verses..

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
yup that is the link I'm looking for

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Reactions: Thorn

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I highly recommend using the POR-15 products to clean and coat the inside of fuel tanks.

LINK

I had a rusty tank I had to clean up and re-coat because the PO used that crap KREEM which was a mess in the tank and the rust was developing under the plastic coating while the coating itself was peeling away from the tank.

I used a few gallons of acetone to dissolve the Kreem liner and threw in a few dog collar chains.....shook and rotated the tank to get rid of the old coating and remove the loose rust.

Then I used the POR metal prep. it chemically changes the rust to a zinc phosphate coating which will prevent flash rusting while you dry the inside of the tank, plus it preps the surface for good adhesion of the POR tank liner.

It worked very well and was not expensive...just follow the directions and don't skip any of the steps to save money.....it will cost you in the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts