Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! First off what a great site! I've been doing a lot of reading! Great information!

I picked up a 2003 Vulcan with 2673 miles on it. It's been sitting for years. Got the carbs cleaned and unning at idle and slow speed. Got to ride it for the first time yesterday. It did great untill I got up to highway speeds. It bogged down. Still a work in progress. I'll keep reading and I'll get it figured out!

I did find a mud dauber in the fuel line! The jets were filthy! It's getting there. Coasters on the way and K&N RC-3240 should be here today.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Nice work! Good god those carbs were dirty...

As for the high speed bog, you may be running into an issue with the carb vent hose, which needs to be open but tucked away somewhere the wind doesn't hit it. If you have the stock earboxes there's a small spot for it in the right airbox, if you removed the stock airbox then tuck it above the top frame rail so it's shielded from the wind by the tank. That might help with high speed bogging

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work! Good god those carbs were dirty...

As for the high speed bog, you may be running into an issue with the carb vent hose, which needs to be open but tucked away somewhere the wind doesn't hit it. If you have the stock earboxes there's a small spot for it in the right airbox, if you removed the stock airbox then tuck it above the top frame rail so it's shielded from the wind by the tank. That might help with high speed bogging
Thanks for the tip. I put a filter on the carb vents and it is in the frame rails up front. It should be shielded from the wind, but I'll double check it tonight when I get home.

I do know I will need to synchronize the carbs. Still lots to learn and do.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had a filter on mine but it was causing issues. The tube doesn't draw much air so it shouldn't ever get much dirt in it. That may be worth taking off of there, 'cause it certainly helped on mine, and it's not gonna get all that dirty anyhow

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
fasten it to the spare nipple (who doesn't love spare nipples hehe)on the bottom of the fuel guage sender under the gas tank

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a filter on mine but it was causing issues. The tube doesn't draw much air so it shouldn't ever get much dirt in it. That may be worth taking off of there, 'cause it certainly helped on mine, and it's not gonna get all that dirty anyhow
fasten it to the spare nipple (who doesn't love spare nipples hehe)on the bottom of the fuel guage sender under the gas tank

Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did an ear shave mod and installed the K&N RC-3240. Also clean the gas cap. That seems to work!

Plugged the emissions off untill the coasters come in tomorrow.

Left the filter on for the carb vents.

It ran great on my test drive. Got up to 80-90 no problem. I'm so stoked!!!

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
sweet. looks pretty cool

·
Registered
11 Posts
New to registering myself today as well; but have been reading and following advise for over a year now. Thanks to this site I have been able to Rejet, mosfet upgrade, tocs MCCT , and many other things. Bought a 2004 Vulcan 750 with 11k miles for $700 a year ago.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
New to registering myself today as well; but have been reading and following advise for over a year now. Thanks to this site I have been able to Rejet, mosfet upgrade, tocs MCCT , and many other things. Bought a 2004 Vulcan 750 with 11k miles for $700 a year ago.
how about an introduction in the newbie section so we can get to know you a little

1 - 12 of 12 Posts