Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I just purchased a 95 vn750 with a possessed electrical system the bike will start and run but it does sputter and backfire the guy I bought it from said it had to do something with a negative cable or wire he called one of the local shops that said they could hunt it down for about a hundred and fifty bucks now a new problem has presented itself I can only start the bike with the bars all the way to the left if the bars are straight or to the right it's as if there's no electrical power whatsoever my assumption would be that the issue is somewhere where the wiring meets the forks has anybody else had this kind of issue it's a 95
vn750 with 15000 miles as a side note I was able to ride it home with no issues it had power was not backfiring looking to make this bike my daily Commuter for the summer as well as joyriding

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Check your connectors under the headlight bucket

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I am no electrical guru, but it seems apparent the wiring has an open (break) when the handlebars are in any position but hard left.
I will let someone else try to help you find it.

BTW, introducing yourself in the Newbie forum in your first post is considered the polite thing to do. :)

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
It's funny because I have the exact opposite problem you do. My bike dies when the handle bar is turn all the way to the right. It operates normally but when the handle bar is turned to the right I can't start the bike. If the bike is running and I turn handle bar to the right then it dies. It actually dies just a little bit before the very end of the turn.

I've been lazy and haven't attempt diagnosis/repair, but it looks like when it's turn to the right, it tugs on the wires that are under the left gas tank (neck) cover. Since your issue happens on left turn, then you might want to check the wires under the right gas tank neck cover. I believe that is the starter button wire so it's definitely a point of interest. Maybe follow that wire from end to end to see if there is any abnormal pressure on it or any damages. Also check for any loose wire/connection or abnormalities in the headlight housing.

·
2,520 Posts
On one of my bikes, where the wire harness comes up the frame and up around the neck to the headlight bucket the wire rubbed through and was grounding against the frame That would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well next time i will definitely introduce myself on the newbie fourm lol

And thanks for the tid bits of where to start looking for the cause of the issues im having

·
2,520 Posts
Its kinda hard to see but im sure i found the problem little bit of soldering shoud do the trick
Think you got it.... Good job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts