Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

I just bought my first bike 2 days ago on 4/20/15. Its the one in my profile pic, '92 green/green Vulcan 750 all stock. First thing I did was take off the windscreen. The previous owner was a nice guy who let it go for $800, a steal in my opinion. It does not appear to need any immediate work, though when I get it on the road I plan to change out the spark plugs, drain the gas tank, and adjust the idle, all under the supervision of a life long rider friend of mine who helped me negotiate the deal.

I cannot wait to put some miles on it! I have 2-3 hours in the morning to ride before work each day and I intend on using them to get comfortable on the bike, practice a lot of low speed maneuvering, and gain some confidence.

This forum is great, its already answered a lot of questions I had and I appreciate all the info. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys!

-Mike

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Hello there, and welcome.

A couple of tips for you... There are common failures you should be aware of.

The charging system fails quite often, between the stator (generator) and the r/r (electricity management)

Also, the wheel is driven by a shaft. On some bikes the shaft wasn't greased at the factory and must be services immediately.

In short, watch your battery voltage, check the grease at the back end, and don't shift too hard.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I wouldn't say it fails often...it's more of a common issue.
Yes check the splines for sure.

disable ad block for this site, it will save you some headaches if you haven't already.

Welcome to the fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't say it fails often...it's more of a common issue.
Yes check the splines for sure.

disable ad block for this site, it will save you some headaches if you haven't already.

Welcome to the fun.
Thanks for the tips, disabling Adblock fixed that issue.

I was reading about the spline while you guys were responding to my post. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks,
-Mike

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Ok...too many Mikes here.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,268 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Open Mike Bike Night?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,268 Posts
Michael Michael motorcycle

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it me being a newb or does anyone else find it uncomfortable fitting their foot under the shifter? Is it just par for the course are are other bikes better/worse?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
You can move it up one spline and see if that helps a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Ya, great buy! Sounds like you are already having a blast!

·
Registered
656 Posts
re.newbie

Welcome Mike,I have a 91 and its basic stock,except for an AGM Batt. and Iridium plugs upgrade. Also oil changes,have fun and there are videos on youtube showing countersteering. Great bunch of guys willing to help,Paulywog.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Is it me being a newb or does anyone else find it uncomfortable fitting their foot under the shifter? Is it just par for the course are are other bikes better/worse?
As others have mentioned, you can adjust it quite easily. Loosen the bolt on it and slide it off, and slide it on one notch the direction you need it to go. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It snowed last night and on and off all morning here. Something like 2" so far! This is crap!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts