Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm a new member to the forums but not new too working on bikes and wrenching like a mofo, I had the wonderful chance to aquire an 04 Kawasaki Vulcan750 for 300 bucks with title. They bike has v&h cruisers and had pods but the cheapo ones but I tossed em. I have the original air box plenum, ears and hoses all installed, all stock but the pipes and old k&n filters in the ears. I'm at about 24' above sea level and she's running 145 mains and 38 pilots, I plan on getting new foam air filters. They bike ran ok when I cleaned the carbs up but hard as hell to get started and once it did I'd hit a flat spot around 3k to 4500 rpm, I was wondering if anyone could chime in on what would be the best jetting to run with my setup, stock box, ears, foam filters and v&h cruzers. I also have installed the iridium plugs. I did some reading and researching and seen a fella with the same setup and he was told to go 135 mains and 40 pilots @ 1200ft above sea level. To anyone who could point me in the right direction and give me some suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Matt

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Hello everyone I'm a new member to the forums but not new too working on bikes and wrenching like a mofo, I had the wonderful chance to aquire an 04 Kawasaki Vulcan750 for 300 bucks with title. They bike has v&h cruisers and had pods but the cheapo ones but I tossed em. I have the original air box plenum, ears and hoses all installed, all stock but the pipes and old k&n filters in the ears. I'm at about 24' above sea level and she's running 145 mains and 38 pilots, I plan on getting new foam air filters. They bike ran ok when I cleaned the carbs up but hard as hell to get started and once it did I'd hit a flat spot around 3k to 4500 rpm, I was wondering if anyone could chime in on what would be the best jetting to run with my setup, stock box, ears, foam filters and v&h cruzers. I also have installed the iridium plugs. I did some reading and researching and seen a fella with the same setup and he was told to go 135 mains and 40 pilots @ 1200ft above sea level. To anyone who could point me in the right direction and give me some suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Matt
How about a short introduction under the Newbie Check-In section?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike runs great once warm and I open it up on the road, I just do short runs in the neighborhood due to the fact I have no air filtration, but idle and warmup is another story, choke makes the front cylinder pop, bang and blue flames, rear cyl runs strong and sounds healthy as can be, its almost like at idle I have just the rear cyl helping the limping front cylinder until I open the throttle. I think I either have valve issues, ignitor box issues, coil issues, or carb demons idk. I plan to get mcct, and doing the "relay mod?" I think its called. Also got some new ex manifold to header gaskets, smartparts baffles, and air filters otw. In short the bike rides great and pulls to 8k no problem, at idle I have a trumpet spumdimg right pipe the pops and bangs and a left that sounds great, carbs that puff back every so often durimg warm up with choke. Will keep an updated sitrep until this thing runs like a top.Thanks to any and all replies and suggestions.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
sounds like a dirty float needle on the front carb and it's flooding out

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
all that kinda stuff used to happen on my bike until I pulled, cleaned, and rejetted the carbs to 42 pilots/142 mains

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
I would get the air filters installed before trying too much carb work. The carbs don't work well with wide open intakes or the wrong pod filters installed.

There's evidence of sticky valves being somewhat common on this engine. Mine had an occasional left carb sneeze on warmup. With the sneeze came a single tap or click from the top end. I ran seafoam in the oil 300mi before oil change to try and clean the valve stems, after that, the sneeze has been gone. Being lean can also cause carb sneeze on acceleration, but the tick led me to think it was a sticky intake valve. It could sneeze just idling with the choke on, or as I rode in 2nd or 3rd gear before the engine warmed up.

Just getting it out and riding may be enough to loosen up the valve stems and stop the sneezing. Try to listen for a tap when you're seeing/hearing the pop/blue flame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welp, I got the filters and all is installed good and tight, went ahead and purchased a motion pro carb tune tool, set the mixture screws 1.5 turns out, warmed it up and went ahead with the carb sync, as I'm tuning her up I get it just right and the fan kicks on, then the motor slowly dies, I thought it was from the fan blowing hot air into the air boxes, Nope! The right exhaust is just dripping fuel like no other, so Im assuming the float got stuck. Either way I've been chasing gremlins on this bike ever since I got it, keeps me sane, I think.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Does sound like a stuck float, tapping on the carb bowl can usually unstick them if it's not due to trash.

If the bike still has the goat belly, the exhaust mixes there, so right muffler may not mean right cylinder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does sound like a stuck float, tapping on the carb bowl can usually unstick them if it's not due to trash.

If the bike still has the goat belly, the exhaust mixes there, so right muffler may not mean right cylinder.
Nope, I bought the bike with Vance and Hines Cruzers already installed. Good point though

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got everything together, filters on, adjusted the floats while the carbs were off, did a single fuel hose to a T fitting with an in line fuel filter. Was a bit hesitant to start but once she did she idled nicely and I could hear the front cylinder firing. Got her warm, cut her off and tried to restart and nothing but gunshots lol. The front cylinder likes to go bang a lot.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've been chasing gremlins on this bike ever since I got it, keeps me sane, I think.
the "sanity" on this forum is a different breed of sanity... >:)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Reactions: ubertalldude

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Got everything together, filters on, adjusted the floats while the carbs were off, did a single fuel hose to a T fitting with an in line fuel filter. Was a bit hesitant to start but once she did she idled nicely and I could hear the front cylinder firing. Got her warm, cut her off and tried to restart and nothing but gunshots lol. The front cylinder likes to go bang a lot.
do you have an agm battery?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts