Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my tires. A friend suggested I replace my front tire with something bigger or "fatter" as he said. Any thoughts on this? Or should I say witht he original size?

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
On my 97, I replaced the stock tires with Metzler Marathon ME880's

Stock front size is 100/90-19 Oversize 110/90-19
Stock rear size is 150/90-15 Oversize 170/80-15

Going with the oversize on the front corrects the speedometer inaccuracy.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Pirrelli Route tires wear very well but traction isn't the best on wet roads. A friend has worn out his Metzlers in 3000 miles on his bonneville. It took half that just to wear the little feelers off my Pirrellis.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I was always very happy with the Dunlop 491 Elite II's, which were made for bigger bikes like Gold Wings, so they wear great and have nice traction. But they discontinued them for the Elite III's, which are supposed to be better, but I personally don't like the tread pattern on those.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Front - definitely go with the 110/90 19 with the one caviat that it will not fit if you have the tourpac fender (if ya don't know if ya do, ya don't). Corrects speedometer accuracy and frankly, looks better.

Rear - go stock or oversized. I'm running 170/80 15's on the rear and definitely have dropped my rpm's at cruising speeds, but some clearances are a bit tight v.s the stock setup.

Got about 10K out of my ME880's, expect to get about the same out of my avon venoms.

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
On my 97, I replaced the stock tires with Metzler Marathon ME880's

Stock front size is 100/90-19 Oversize 110/90-19
Stock rear size is 150/90-15 Oversize 170/80-15

Going with the oversize on the front corrects the speedometer inaccuracy.
Feels like a different bike with the bigger tires :rockon:

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Antiq, I would say if your friend wore out his Metzlers in 3000 miles he was pretty agressive with them. I also have them on my wing, which is a lot heavier bike and lots of 2 up riding, and put 10000 miles on them so far and they still have plenty of tread. IMO the Metzlers (on my Vulcan 750) handle much better than the Pirelli's but having gone oversized may have something to do with that.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have about 2000 miles on my perelli MT66 tires. the feelers are still on them. I do notice a little more 'slide' that my stock tires when I down shift on a turn at too high of RPMS. and a little 'slide' on wet oil roads, but they work well for dirt and highway. I think they are a great tire for the price.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like the Avon Venom X. Good traction in wet weather. I went oversized front and rear and it does give the Vulcan a bigger bike feel and does lower the RPM slightly. But, I am thinking of going back to stock size rear tire.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,718 Posts
I went with the Metzler on the front (bigger 110/90 19) thing sticks like glue and handles way better! next spring I'm will be replacing the rear with the bigger (170/80-15) Metzler.
I wish I had did them both and the same time, but I didn't have the $ and there was still some life left in the rear tire. just my $.02

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Going with the recommended larger tire sizes (front--and rear) is now pretty much a "no brainer" and gives you several advantages: they look better on the bike (more agressive appearance), provide more grip (wet, or dry), correct (partially) speedo error, reduce engine revs for a given speed, and last (but definitely not least): make the bike feel more sure-footed and stable, especially thru turns.

Metzeler 880: longest mileage. Star (Yamaha) is using these tires as OEM equipment on their new Raider, and also on their new 1300cc touring cruiser.

Avon Venoms: probably the best grip in the wet. But less mileage per set than the Me880's.

For added security and hassle-free riding: just after you break-in the new tires, add "Ride On" tire sealant in them.

For more info on this product, just use the "search" function above to find relevant threads on this stuff--it's wonderful!!!.....:rockon:

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
170 80 15? lookin at the metzlers myself put my baby down yesterday and my ego is killin me. it was a fluke but i'm replacing the old tire. looking for advice on the bigger tire considering i live in seattle and it rains all winter spring summer and fall here. Should have the new gas tank filled with gas tomorrow and be ready to ride shortly. tire will be put on next week i was just wondering what people thought about the rain...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the 170's rear tire and the distance between rear tire and the rear shock's ?

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Antiq, I would say if your friend wore out his Metzlers in 3000 miles he was pretty agressive with them. I also have them on my wing, which is a lot heavier bike and lots of 2 up riding, and put 10000 miles on them so far and they still have plenty of tread. IMO the Metzlers (on my Vulcan 750) handle much better than the Pirelli's but having gone oversized may have something to do with that.
You are probably right that he is an aggressive rider. I've not ridden with him though. I was also thinking it may be possible that the tire compound may have been softer than normal to enhance the handling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts