Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
Has anyone tried or using Kenda Kruz tires? I see they come in our stock size and oversize 110/90-19 and 170/80-15 also.
Thanks
Glenn

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
The feedback I've read on various forums is that Kenda's are POS tires. I have no personal experience with them myself. I can tell you that Avoin Venom tires are the BEST!!! Metzeler ME-880 tires are also a fantastic choice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The feedback I've read on various forums is that Kenda's are POS tires. I have no personal experience with them myself. I can tell you that Avoin Venom tires are the BEST!!! Metzeler ME-880 tires are also a fantastic choice.
That is just the opposite of what people I've found on the web have said .

I was just trying to see if anyone one on this forum, were running them, on a VN700/750.
Plus $238.80 for the Avon Venoms -V- $99.33 for a set of Kenda Kruz K673s, well over twice as much, for the same size tires. (110/90-19 & 170/80-15).
If I got 25,000 miles out of the Avons, then they might be worth it.
I had Metzelers years ago and said I would never run them again. Maybe they are better now.
Glenn

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Only time I used Kenda's was on my dirtbike. And those didn't last 1/2 as longer as other brands.

At less than $100 for both, I would take it easy on them until you know for sure their handling capabilities.

My .02¢.....
With only having two tires to keep me on the road, I'll spend $100 or more for each tire and know they're up to the task of handling my riding style.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
i'm with hyper on this! when it comes to tires, buy the best! hands down! the better tires may cost a little more, but what's your life worth?!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What I've found out over the years is, price does not equate to quality or performance. The best is not always the most expensive.
I appreciate your views, but I have used every search engine that I can think of and have not found one single negative report on these tires, except that they may be a little slick, until they are scuffed in.
I'm not looking for a high speed, peg dragging, super sticky soft compound, twisty straitening, mega tire that wears out in 3,000 miles or less.
I just want a set of tires that work good in most weather and road conditions for many miles and do that without breaking the bank. From what people that have these tires on their various bikes have said, I do believe these tires, will do the job.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
sounds like you made up your mind and just looking for someone to approve. well, i appologize but i'm not going to say anything you'd like to hear.
even if all you intend to do is crawl on dead straight road you still want all the grip your tires can give you for that one unexpected moment.

i will happily pay couple hundred more for something that i know going to keep me on the road and alive than save up and hope that it is going to be ok. i can live with extra couple hundred a year i spend on tires .

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like you made up your mind and just looking for someone to approve. well, i appologize but i'm not going to say anything you'd like to hear.
even if all you intend to do is crawl on dead straight road you still want all the grip your tires can give you for that one unexpected moment.

i will happily pay couple hundred more for something that i know going to keep me on the road and alive than save up and hope that it is going to be ok. i can live with extra couple hundred a year i spend on tires .
No, I started this thread with a simple question. That no one has answered.

Instead I get a bunch of opinions, stating that you have to buy a high dollar, big name tire to be safe. Knowing that some not all, run their tires past the wear bars, to the state of being bald, but still think they are safe, because they paid $200 for the tire and also want to get every last mile out their investment. We all know or should know how safe that is.
With that said.
I'll be the Guinea pig and try a set of Kenda Kruz tires on my 700 and if they don't blow up or send me into a oncoming truck because I ran over a worm on the road, I'll post my findings, GOOD, BAD or Ugly!!!

Glenn

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Knowing that some not all, run their tires past the wear bars, to the state of being bald, but still think they are safe, because they paid $200 for the tire and also want to get every last mile out their investment.
that's just crazy in my opinion.

I'll be the Guinea pig and try a set of Kenda Kruz tires on my 700 and if they don't blow up or send me into a oncoming truck because I ran over a worm on the road, I'll post my findings, GOOD, BAD or Ugly!!!
i guess some one has to do it :)
good luck and take it easy

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
that's just crazy in my opinion.
It is crazy and just plain stupid, but how many bikes have you seen, without a stitch of tread left on the rear tire or the front tire is cupped so bad it looks like a MX knobby. Ther'er out there!!!

i guess some one has to do it :)
good luck and take it easy
Don't worry and thanks, I won't start right off the bat, crank-en it on through a high speed bender just see if they stick or not. But I will work up to how much braking and cornering ability these tires have.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I think most tires made today are "acceptable"... even those cheap ones from China. I would not mount them on a sportbike, or expect them to be the much more that what I paid for. Surprises happen, and no, just because a tire costs more does not mean it is better. You have to look at the application, if you ride your bike like you just stole it, you do want the very best tire available...and by that what is reported to work great on your particular bike...

But if you don't ride on the edge and simply want a tire that does what it is supposed to do (more or less) there is no reason to buy a high price/performamnce tire.

I have suggested for years that if you want a good solid tire that won't cost and arm and a leg, just pick up a set of stock tires. The Bridgestone Excedra's that came with my bike are fine...and when they wear out, getting a new set will not only be an improvement, but you will already have learned the limits of the tire so no surprises or learning curve.

So anyway....let us know how they work out for you.....

KM

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I don't know about the Kenda's, but I ended up with a Maxxis on the front of mine and haven't had any issues so far. It too was about $98 compared with $198 for the Dunlop I wanted. The place I bought the tire from actually recommended the cheaper tire!! Go figure.
I'm with KM on this one, buy what you like but please post the results so we too can share. Tires it appears are like oil, everyone has an opinion.
Good luck with the Kenda's.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Glenn,
Not to hijack your thread but i grew up in North Star and graduated from Ithaca. As i remember St Louis is the center of the lower p. You close?
Never moved back after i discivered Wy. in 1970.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dennis
I live about 15mi north of St Louis. 1/2 way between Midland and
Mt Pleasant. I went to Bullock Creek and we use to play Ithaca in sports. In the old Mid-Michigan B league. Back when I was in High school, Class of "70"
I've been to North Star a time or two.
Glenn

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
I don't know about the Kenda's, but I ended up with a Maxxis on the front of mine and haven't had any issues so far. It too was about $98 compared with $198 for the Dunlop I wanted. The place I bought the tire from actually recommended the cheaper tire!! Go figure.
Good luck with the Kenda's.
$198 for Dunlop? wow! for around $125, i could get a Metzeler and that's having it but on the rim too!

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
I'll find out soon, I ordered a set of 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 K673's last night from Trax Motorsports.
Just under $105 shipped to my door. From what I've read on other sites, from riders that have ordered tires from them, say they ship fast with no issues.
We will see.

http://traxms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=TRAX&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Motorcycle_Products_Tires_Street_Kenda_K673

Glenn
I am and would be really interested in hearing how your new tires are handling for you. Give us an update as soon as you have one, particularly with the over size tire. I have heard that with the 170/80's we loose a bit in the handling and punch aspect of the performance.

Peace :beerchug:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Glenn: I have used the Kenda Kruz P673 models and Im thrilled on their ample success. This tire is Guaranteed to double your last tire mileage. Yes they were about $127.65 for both..Hope this helps you on your decission on Kendra Kruz tires. The same exact sizes too. Love the extra grip on the rear tire.. Needs no balancing.. Looks meaner also..Amsoil Man.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They were suppose to be here Fri. But UPS had some sort of a problem, so now they say delivery will be tomorrow.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A very Good Day
UPS said the tires would be delivered Today. The brown truck usually comes around 3:00pm. Starting round 11:00am I pulled the wheels off the bike, tires off the wheels and checked the wheels for balance. Then I checked and greased the splines, they were fine with a little factory grease still in place and no rust. Took a break and had a sandwich. 2:15pm.

Sub UPS guy shows up at 3:30. I Mounted up the tires and installed on the bike.

Dianna had me worried, I read somewhere, that 110/90-19 would not fit her bike with the touring front fender, thought I might have to do some clearance work or put the stock fender back on. The Kenda fit, it's close but no rubbing.

How do they work? Ya Buddy, I can't believe the difference, quiet, smooth and no more following the cracks in the road. I don't have very many miles on them yet, but I'm impressed, so far.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just elated!!! :D

Some pic's I took Today. New tires

1 - 20 of 20 Posts