Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my second post. (first was newbie intro).

The 1991 I just bought last week has on the front:
METZELER 100/90-19
date 2601
and on the rear:
Dunlop Qualifier K525 150/90-15
date 0502

They appear to be in pretty good shape tread wise, and sidewalls do not show any signs of problems.

However, many have said 8 and 9 years is enough and I should replace them. I kind of agree. I have no idea what the current tires have been through.

I'm thinking ME 880 for both front and back.

Metzeler Rear ME 880 150/90HB-15 Blackwall Tire
Metzeler Front ME 880 100/90H-19 Blackwall Tire

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
i have dunlop 404's on mine, and so far a tad over 1100 miles on em

·
1992 VN 750
109 Posts
Metzeler ME 880 110/90/19 on the front and 170/80/15 on the rear. Rock solid and makes the bike feel like it is glued to the road. But this is just my opinion...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ok, my second post. (first was newbie intro).

The 1991 I just bought last week has on the front:
METZELER 100/90-19
date 2601
and on the rear:
Dunlop Qualifier K525 150/90-15
date 0502

They appear to be in pretty good shape tread wise, and sidewalls do not show any signs of problems.

However, many have said 8 and 9 years is enough and I should replace them. I kind of agree. I have no idea what the current tires have been through.

I'm thinking ME 880 for both front and back.

Metzeler Rear ME 880 150/90HB-15 Blackwall Tire
Metzeler Front ME 880 100/90H-19 Blackwall Tire

Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks.
Yes - your tires need to be replaced due to age, regardless of tread wear
Yes - Metzelers are one of the best tire choices. Expensive, but worth every penny. Search this forum of lots of reviews, all positive.
JakeWilson.com has good prices and great customer service (if ordering online), but get the latest coupon from RetailMeNot.com before ordering for the best deal.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
The Metzler's are excellent tires from what I've read and heard. But my Pirelli's are every bit as good, made by the same Brazilian company too, and cost about a third less. I absolutely love my Pirelli MT66 tires. So much traction compared to the stock Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
X2 on the Pirelli's Over 11,000 miles and counting.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Metzeler ME 880 110/90/19 on the front and 170/80/15 on the rear. Rock solid and makes the bike feel like it is glued to the road. But this is just my opinion...
I agree whole heartedly with the tire and sizes mentioned here and it does make the bike handle more to suit me too.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You can also go up to a 180/80/15 in the metzlers. I have the Dunlop 404's 110/90/19 on front and after 15k miles still has good tread but cupping (may be balance issue). The 170/80/15 on the rear got me through around 8k miles but needs to be replaced already. I am not a constant aggressive driver and not bashing the Dunlops but I'm thinking of going with a car tire 165/80/15 for my next rear tire. The Dunlops handle great but for the extra $50 to $60 the Metzlers sound like a longer lasting tire.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You can also go up to a 180/80/15 in the metzlers. I have the Dunlop 404's 110/90/19 on front and after 15k miles still has good tread but cupping (may be balance issue). The 170/80/15 on the rear got me through around 8k miles but needs to be replaced already. I am not a constant aggressive driver and not bashing the Dunlops but I'm thinking of going with a car tire 165/80/15 for my next rear tire. The Dunlops handle great but for the extra $50 to $60 the Metzlers sound like a longer lasting tire.
Darkside forum link, ie. running a car tire on a motorcycle:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding/start

Our very own craznurs ran a Vredestein 165H R80-15 CT on the rear wheel of her vn700 for 15K miles before selling the bike and getting a Yamaha V-Star 1600, which is also running a CT on the rear wheel. The car tire on the vn700 still had 3/4 of the tread left when she sold it. She says she will never go back to a motorcycle tire on the rear of a cruiser style bike. She describes herself as a fairly aggressive rider in the twisties too. See posts #12 and 13 on this thread for more info.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13243&page=2

Not that it has much relevance here, but I saw a reference to an FJR forum yesterday which has several members going to the darkside too.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have the Pirellis in my sights... I used them on cars before and they're great. The fact that some people here said they are great on the bike as well is just what I needed to definitely make up my mind to get them.

I gotta get other stuff first though, but they're definitely in the near-mid future.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
My 06 still has the factory tires on it with around 9,950 miles on them. There's still lots of tread and I haven't had any negative issues.
My personal experience with car tires (on cars) is that I've never actually "felt" any differences when changing tires. Some of you state that you can feel differences in the bike. This is foreign to me.
Are they truly that much better?
I haven't been thinking of changing my tires yet since I am having no noticeable problems but I'm wondering if it might be worth it to "feel" a difference.
I'm not an agressive rider but, once in a while, do like to get on it on a straightaway.

·
Registered
736 Posts
My 06 still has the factory tires on it with around 9,950 miles on them. There's still lots of tread and I haven't had any negative issues.
My personal experience with car tires (on cars) is that I've never actually "felt" any differences when changing tires. Some of you state that you can feel differences in the bike. This is foreign to me.
I haven't been thinking of changing my tires yet since I am having no noticeable problems but I'm wondering if it might be worth it to "feel" a difference.
I'm not an agressive rider but, once in a while, do like to get on it on a straightaway.
First, realize that motorcycle tires are not the same as car tires. Motorcycle tires use softer compounds. Over time both motorcycle and car tires dry out, but motorcycle tires, being softer, dry out quicker. When that happens the performance or 'stickyness' is degraded (if not lost entirely), even if the treads look brand new.

I just replaced my '06 OEM tires in May of this year. They had about 9K miles and still looked new. However, they began to noticeably track road defects (i.e., tar snakes and cracks) and crossing bridge gratings was becoming nerve wracking. Final straw was in April when I got caught out in a rain shower and I noticed definite slipping from the rear. Bought new Metzeler ME880's in May and now the bike is like a sport bike, literally. No tracking, barely a shimmy on bridge grates and no slipping wet or dry.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Good, logical explanation. I suppose it's time to start setting up a fund cite to finance the new set. Thanks.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,690 Posts
I agree whole heartedly with the tire and sizes mentioned here and it does make the bike handle more to suit me too.
I have the Metzeler ME 880 110/90/19 on the front and the 170/80/15 on the rear. it's WAY better! the bigger front tire makes the bike handle better, and with the bigger tire in the rear, it lowers the rpm's at highway speeds. I can cruise along at 70-80 mph all day long! doing 65mph is like sitting still!

so I say buy what ever brand you want, but go with the bigger tires!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm the king of cheap, and in June/July I went with the Kenda Kruz, 110/90 up front and the 170/80 out back. I think about $120 total shipped. It was the first "new" tires I've ever had on a bike, I replaced 4 year old Dunlops, had a plug in the rear otherwise I'd of gone another year. I've put 2000 or so miles on them. I know the 880's are good, but for the cost of a front tire I got a set, and I couldn't be happier.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I'll "weigh in" here and agree with those who've recommended you go with the larger size (non-std) tires. I too am running the ME880s with the larger sizes (110/90/19 front, 170/80/15 rear) and the difference vs the stock sizes is impressive.

Any disadvantage you might incur with these larger tire sizes is easily outgunned by the advantages you'll pick up with them. Yes, they do fit...you may have to let some air out of the back tire to first get it mounted, but in the end (no pun intended-ha!), it's well worth it.

I now have 9,000 miles on these ME880s and you can barely tell there's tire wear. Run/keep your ME880s at 42 psi and they'll last a long time.....:rockon:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run Metzler ME880s on both my VN750 and Victory TC. I have the stock rear tire on the Vulcan, but went with the 110 front tire. The 110 front tire trues up the speedo. With the 100 front tire my speedo was showing about 10% faster, acording to those road side speed monitors. I also noticed that after I put the 110 front on the odo was right on with mapquest directions I had strapped to the tank, with the stock 100 front I was always going farther acording to the trip meter than the mapquest directions showed.

Brad

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You didn't feel any difference with tires on your car because you probably didn't push it to where tire choice really matters. I owned a V8 Mustang and it's very noticeable when a tire gets you more traction at the rear even just at takeoff. Other cars you gotta push them around corners to feel any difference. Not that it's smart or safe to do so, I'm just saying it's the only way to notice the difference... aside from the obvious noise and road tracking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got my 1997 =VN750 with about 8,200 miles in April, 2010 that had some pirelli tires on them that were only a year old, but the previous owner used some tire shine cleaning products on them and I saw some dry rought. Not wanting to take any chances I decided I would replace the tires and start fresh because it was my first bike and used. Reading the VN750 forums I decided to go with the Metzeler ME880 and was able to get them in May from rockymountainatv.com

Ordered on 5/3/2010

Product Description Part # Price Quantity Sub Total
Shipping:Free!
Disposal:$0.00
Gift Wrapping: $0.00
Total:$521.07

So I would say I got a pair (Front/Rear) of ME880s for $161.08 and paid $359.99 for a Shoei RF-1100 Helmet in matte black.

No buyers remorse whatsoever:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts