Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is what happened, I put on a 170/80-15 rear and a 110/90-19 front. Both were pierelli MT66. I personally did not care for the way the bike handled with the bigger rear tire, just felt sluggish and not as quick or nimble,(I drive more city and twisties then anything else) Also only saw rpms go down only about 100-150.

So I put on a 150/90-15 MT66 and the bike FEELS so much better, quicker,easier turning into corners, feels stable, lower speed handling ,etc...

I'm not sure what to say about it, I REALLY like the bigger 110 up front, but I did not like the 170 on the rear. I prefer the 150. Just my humble opionion and experience over the last 10 days and 400 miles.

·
Registered
410 Posts
OEM has this all figuered out in their high tech tests, dont mess with the tires or sizes, they put all that stuff through hell to make us as safe as possible and so does the tire manufacturer, they work together on that closely, very closely.
Ride steady now!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1000 mile update

well I have now put 1100 miles on the new route 66 tires.. They handle well on the twisties, and on uneven road surfaces. not too bad in the rain. I have noticed they need to be kept at 29 ft and 33 rear, that's where they feel the best. decent mileage , I avg. 42 mpg. also speedo is 4200 @ 60 5000 @ 70

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
The issue with that theory is that these bikes were designed over 20 years ago. A LOT has changed in those years....

OEM has this all figuered out in their high tech tests, dont mess with the tires or sizes, they put all that stuff through hell to make us as safe as possible and so does the tire manufacturer, they work together on that closely, very closely.
Ride steady now!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
But tire size and handling characteristics haven't changed all that much for this bike. Tire make up and the rubber chemistry HAS changed but from a handling perspective, the tire sizes should still be kept as close to spec as possible. That being said, I don't think going to the larger front tire has as much of an impact since it is about the same width as the original. The wider 180 would put more rubber on the road but the side wall stiffness would be greater causing the sluggish handling 2001 talks about.

Just my .02

Jim W

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Confirmed

Ok here is what happened, I put on a 170/80-15 rear and a 110/90-19 front. Both were pierelli MT66. I personally did not care for the way the bike handled with the bigger rear tire, just felt sluggish and not as quick or nimble
This is exactly what my local shop said would happen when I asked about increasing the tire size.

DT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts