Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you folks scrub in a new tire before doin rides, especially twistie ridin...???
I have seen in this forum or XL forum that you should scrub in a new tire to get the release agent rubbed off before any serious ridin...
I was just thinkin, since I put on a new rear tire that I might go to a ball field parkin lot about a mile from my house and do something like a few figure 8s and scrub it in, if I can get over this dang crud... Some say just ride careful for the first 100 mi., but I don't like to be too careful...:doh:... What do y'all think...???
Thanks, and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Do you folks scrub in a new tire before doin rides, especially twistie ridin...???
I have seen in this forum or XL forum that you should scrub in a new tire to get the release agent rubbed off before any serious ridin...
I was just thinkin, since I put on a new rear tire that I might go to a ball field parkin lot about a mile from my house and do something like a few figure 8s and scrub it in, if I can get over this dang crud... Some say just ride careful for the first 100 mi., but I don't like to be too careful...:doh:... What do y'all think...???
Be careful for the first 100 miles lol That is the recommended break in period.

·
Banned
431 Posts
yup, 100 mi break-in

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
what is this "scrub in" that you speak of? just regular riding for break in, or is the "scrub in" something else?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is this "scrub in" that you speak of? just regular riding for break in, or is the "scrub in" something else?
Ceal;
Either way, both, scrub in or break in, I think it's just scrubbin off the release agent that the tire Mfgs. use to get the finished tire out of the mold, so you get good normal grip before gettin into serious curves... I think some folks have went down on new tires by just jumpin on the bike and thinkin they have the best grip new...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have used Brake cleaner to whipe off the tire before, old racing trick.
Gets the casting lube off the tire and scrub in is alot shorter.
but you still need to be careful for a little while.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Cycle World was asked this a while back and was told by four different tire makers- Michlein, Perrelli,Dunlop and Brridgestone that they do not use any "release agent" on their molds.

They did say new tires are a bit slick just do to the rubber being "new"...that simply not pushing them too hard for awhile (50 miles was mentioned) should be enough to break their cherry so to speak...;)

Clean dry roads being your quickest route there, and to keep in mind warm tires work better, many of the problems (spills) associated with new tires were seen to mostly caused by someone installing a new tire and pushing them at the first turn before they even warmed up.

Keep in mind here racers pull in to change tires in long races, and go right out and race on them hard. The tires are cleaned... But keeping them warm is more important. Race bikes even wear tire heaters between races.

My advise is to skip the parking lot and just avoid grinding the pegs for 30 minutes of riding. This is all I did on my new rear and nothing bad happened....and I think my riding style matches Old Dogs.... Ride it like you stole it...:)

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
i just go easy on my new shoes the frist hundred miles

·
Registered
363 Posts
you wold have to ask old dog, but when i had my new rear tire put on we rode about 10 miles in town then hit the twisties, i guess i broke my tires cherry the hard way, taking turns at speed. i didnt think about scrubing it in .

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
New tires and no care, seems to equal this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxbHyEIkgdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4mDqh8nBI

if you're not gonna be careful with your new tires... please record it!! lol
The 2nd one looks like he just broke the rear loose by hitting the throttle too hard...on cobblestone...not what I would call a clean smooth surface.

Back in physics class we were asked what would make the best road surface to insusre the best grip, (on a dry sunny day)...a rough hard surface that was simular to sandpaper, something soft like thick rubber, or something smooth and hard like a sheet of glass.

Many chose the sandpaper, but a road made from smooth hard glass would give the best traction for rubber tires. It of course would be horrible if it got wet, but dry it provides the the highest total contact area. Simply more tire is touching the road....as rough surfaces contain "gaps" where the tire is not in full contact.

I do remember reading about a dealership that had some numb nut armorall the tires on a bike so it would look good, and no one cleaned the tires off when someone bought it. The first video reminded me of what they say happened ...lol.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
haha armor-all on the tires could have made that happen for sure XD I like on that video how he has his new riding suit and helmet and all and just gets a little bit too cocky lol.

I bet on the glass surface you'd also get better traction without any tread on the tire, like racing slicks. If only it didn't rain on roads lol.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong.
Traction is determined by wieght and road surface. And not by the size of the foot (contact area.) However, the smaller the foot the less heat it can tolerrate.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong.
Traction is determined by wieght and road surface. And not by the size of the foot (contact area.) However, the smaller the foot the less heat it can tolerrate.
Friction.....which is the essential part of traction , is dependent on surface area, not weight. And on the relative friction coefficient of the two surfaces involved. This is why top fuel dragsters have hugely wide rear tires, and why you can push a 2 ton car sideways on ice.

All being equal, the bigger the contact patch, the better the grip.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Friction.....which is the essential part of traction , is dependent on surface area, not weight. And on the relative friction coefficient of the two surfaces involved. This is why top fuel dragsters have hugely wide rear tires, and why you can push a 2 ton car sideways on ice.

All being equal, the bigger the contact patch, the better the grip.
I tried to find info on this but I couldn't. Not that you don't know you'r science, I just want to see it from some other source other than you or me.

found something.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8650284_traction-affect-vehicle.html

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
From wikiapedia:

The properties of sliding friction were discovered by experiment in the 15th to 18th centuries and were expressed as three empirical laws:

Amontons' First Law: The force of friction is directly proportional to the applied load.
Amontons' Second Law: The force of friction is independent of the apparent area of contact.
Coulomb's Law of Friction: Kinetic friction is independent of the sliding velocity.
Amontons' 2nd Law is an idealization assuming perfectly rigid and inelastic materials. For example, wider tires on cars provide more traction than narrow tires for a given vehicle mass because of surface deformation of the tire.[citation needed]

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cycle World was asked this a while back and was told by four different tire makers- Michlein, Perrelli,Dunlop and Brridgestone that they do not use any "release agent" on their molds.

They did say new tires are a bit slick just do to the rubber being "new"...that simply not pushing them too hard for awhile (50 miles was mentioned) should be enough to break their cherry so to speak...;)

Clean dry roads being your quickest route there, and to keep in mind warm tires work better, many of the problems (spills) associated with new tires were seen to mostly caused by someone installing a new tire and pushing them at the first turn before they even warmed up.

Keep in mind here racers pull in to change tires in long races, and go right out and race on them hard. The tires are cleaned... But keeping them warm is more important. Race bikes even wear tire heaters between races.

My advise is to skip the parking lot and just avoid grinding the pegs for 30 minutes of riding. This is all I did on my new rear and nothing bad happened....and I think my riding style matches Old Dogs.... Ride it like you stole it...:)
KM, I wrote up a good reply to yours above, but the weather knocked me off line, and I just got back on today, so I'll keep it shorter and faster...lol...
I'm sure your ridin & style is much better than mine, I'm just old enough to stretch my style over my skills a bit...lol... You gotta get something up every once and again, even if it's just the hair on the back of your neck...lol...
I did however go to an empty baseball parkin lot and do a few figure 8s and slow drag the pegs a bit though...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A very rare occasion has occured, I gave my bike its annual wash...lol...
Anyway, I noticed on my near new tires that the sidewalls bead up and the tread area does not... That makes me wonder if that might be lawyer talk...

Front

Its sorta like a washed car and a waxed car...lol...

Rear

I don't know exactly which, but one of the big shooting hunting magazines several years ago, had a guy demonstrating how to hold a revolver for a steady shot... He had his left hand wraped around the front part of the cylinder, and against a tree, he may have been steady for that shot, but I'll bet he was not for the next one, after he picked the lead shavings and powder granules out of his hand...lol...
Also, I remember another front cover where the scope was on a rifle backwards...
Yeah, I'm sayin that I don't all togather trust magazines... If they can let covers like that get by, what about the articles, do the same ones proof them...???
Just was wonderin why the tires did that if there was not somethig on them, that had worn off the tread area...???
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
interesting!

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
The reason the water looks different on the sidewalls is because the rubber has a different "finish" there. The side of the tire never touches the road, but still gets water, mud, dirt, etc....on them.

The non tread areas of the tire are thus made with a more "polished" finish, to specifically shed water and dirt more easily. This also includes the bead, so it seals better.

And to make this even more obvious ... Many dealers Armor All the sidewalls to make them shine... A layer of silicone would bead water like that too.

So sorry, your photo proves nothing other than you are observant...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts