Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many threads on here and have not found what I am looking for. I put a brand new stator in the bike and it burnt up the rectifier. I put in a brand new rectifier and now it is all functioning properly and the battery still will not charge. I spent extra money on a new gel no maintenance battery and it is still not charging. When I test the stator and rectifier it all comes back good but the battery still will not charge. I'm stumped and and getting really frustrated with this POS. Any advice on what to look for? I have briefly went over the wires and couldn't find much as far as bad connections. PLEASE HELP!!

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I have read many threads on here and have not found what I am looking for. I put a brand new stator in the bike and it burnt up the rectifier. I put in a brand new rectifier and now it is all functioning properly and the battery still will not charge. I spent extra money on a new gel no maintenance battery and it is still not charging. When I test the stator and rectifier it all comes back good but the battery still will not charge. I'm stumped and and getting really frustrated with this POS. Any advice on what to look for? I have briefly went over the wires and couldn't find much as far as bad connections. PLEASE HELP!!
Two things might help. Unplug the headlight fuse and take a reading. If the battery starts charging do a headlight relay bypass. Wire the rectifier leads directly to the battery, not thru the junction box.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Did you charge the battery separately when you bought it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I did charge the battery to full charge separately before I put it in the bike.

The rectifier and stator were both Electrosport brands and I am not sure whether it is MOSFET or not. Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming please!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I don't think that's a mosfet.

Have you actually checked the R/R output voltage? How much is it?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The very reason I came back onto the Forum! Same problem, although I found a short in the ground wire directly off the battery (and this was after searching and searching for a short). Evp7, you're not finding anything even remotely resembling a short? I should add that even with that wire replaced, however, I've got the same problem and am about to head down the stator/RR route. JM2001, why are you thinking it might be the headlight on evp's bike?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
The very reason I came back onto the Forum! Same problem, although I found a short in the ground wire directly off the battery (and this was after searching and searching for a short). Evp7, you're not finding anything even remotely resembling a short? I should add that even with that wire replaced, however, I've got the same problem and am about to head down the stator/RR route. JM2001, why are you thinking it might be the headlight on evp's bike?
The relay proved to be the problem on my bike and on 3 other VN 750s, all with the same charging problem.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
And here I thought you just missed us... lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last time I messed with the bike was last fall and I do not remember exactly what the readings were from the R/R but I do remember that it was working properly and the readings were good coming from both the stator as well as the R/R. I have looked for a short or a bad connection with the ground wire and I couldn't find anything along that route. I hope to wipe the dust off of it this weekend and plan on trying all of the suggestions so far to hopefully come up with something

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yea, I'm asking because if the R/R is putting out more than 13V when the bike revs up, then it's likely that the stator and R/R are working right and maybe it's a bad battery... or maybe it's a parasitic drain somewhere if it's getting discharged while parked... all I read was that "it's not charging", so I don't know more details of your problem.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
It is possible for a newer / new battery to be bad. One member recently experienced this.
A sure fire way to check the battery is to go to a local auto store & have it tested.
I'd also retest so you can give us some current numbers.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
YES a new batt can be bad straight out of the box, same with any new part not just MC parts. We normally assume that because it is New that it is ok (which is normally the case). Have it tested then you know for sure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts