Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Work Hard, Play Hard!!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the stator ...since the wires were fried I also have a newer battery...my headlights went out and I did the quick fix of switching the wire and putting toggle switch in....but I have noticed that the fan isn't working...so I think the fan relay is shot as well...so thinking of replacing the junction box....could someone tell me how to test the regulator...if that is not bad then I will just replaced the junction box.....Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Testing the R/R is fairly easy. Start the bike, let it warm up a bit. Using a multi meter measure the votage across the battery. If its the original R/R the votage reading would be close to 12VDC. Bring up the RPMs to 3000-4000. The votage should rise to close to 14VDC. Ive read on here that the R/R could cause a stator failure and visa versa. So you may want to think about changing the R/R anyway.
When did your headlight go out? When did you do your "quick fix"? Was it before you replaced the stator? A bad stator could cause the headlight not to work. Also if you ran the new stator wires directly to the R/R the headlight would also not work. There is a yellow wire on one of the R/R connectors, at work and I dont remember which connector. This wire is spliced to one of the stator wires and it operates the headlight relay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts