Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. i got a 86 vulcan. it had what i believed was a bad stator, the bike ran and when i tested the charge on the battery the voltage didnt move at all with revs. ok so i threw a new stator and a MF battery in. not at idle its at 12.15v and i can rev it up to get it to about 12.40v.

what do i need to check with the regulator/rectifier to make sure it works?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and now i fully charged the new battery. at idle its at 12.65 and will go up to 12.75 but no higher. the regulator is HOT!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
There is a flow chart listed on here somewhere from electrosport that will walk you through checking the r/r. If you search electrosport I'm sure you'll find the pdf link.

It sounds like your r/r might be shot, but go through the tests to make sure. Someone else will probably give you the process for checking your stator too. God forbid your new stator might be bad, but it could happen. But it sounds to me like the r/r is bad or the plug is badly corroded connecting to it.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
My wire connectors were loose on the stator wires. They got real hot and charging volts were down. I also had a dead cell in my 1 month old battery though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks slim, thats exactly what i was hoping for. i don't think its the stator, i checked it in my normal fashion, ac voltage on the yellows, it was between 20 and 80 on all variations so im going to say that everything is going good with the stator. thanks for the help everyone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts