Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did the Tuxedo mod and replaced the stator with a new one from DB electrical. Everything seemed to be going great and I was getting 14-15v and the battery was staying charged. After about 75-100mi, I got no charge output from the stator. I was only getting like 1.2VAC between the yellow stator wires and each of the stator wires are 13ohms to ground like it's shorted.

Is there some step I did could've done improperly where the tuxedo mod can cause the stator to ground out or am I really just that unlucky that my new stator went bad this quickly?

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Have seen cases where the stator was grounding through the mod plate, either because of the assembly being off center or some other contact.

I believe Jason Pittenger insulated the whole assembly, look for his thread on the mod.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I looked through Jason's post history pretty extensively but couldn't find anything about insulating the assembly. I just saw his posts about doing the mod and how he used washer with jb weld under the plate to prevent flexing.

So in a further development, it seems to work correctly only when the bike is cold. I saw 13.5v to 14.5v at the battery and 20-40v AC on the unplugged stator leads after letting it cool down but as soon as I rode it for a few minutes, I get no charging and the voltage on the stator wires goes back to 1.2VAC. In both states, I saw about 20 ohms to ground on the stator leads so I'm assuming I'll need a new stator regardless but it's odd that it would charge at all if the stator was grounding.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
It behaves that way fairly often, once it all heats up and expands, it shorts out.
I may have misunderstood JP's use of the washers, or could be thinking of another person.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It behaves that way fairly often, once it all heats up and expands, it shorts out.
I may have misunderstood JP's use of the washers, or could be thinking of another person.
Well shoot. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll see how an RMA on my newly failed stator goes.

Is there anything common to make stators go bad or is it just bad luck? My ground connection was solid, the R/R seemed to be working properly, and I never saw it overcharge the battery. I don't want to keep burning them out if I can help it. I did let it charge the battery up from like 12.3v so I'm not sure if that would've stressed it at all.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
We've had some theories here. Myself, I feel the junction box has a lot to do with it, so I advocate bypassing all the JB relays.

Example... The headlight circuit puts AC voltage into the headlight relay, the Blue Wire mod eliminates that.

There's a start relay that also fails in the JB, the Two Wire mod bypasses that.

Even though my charging system is tip top, a MOSFET RR and rewound stator, I've been getting brownouts when the fan is running. So either the fan relay in the JB is the culprit or the fan is pulling too many amps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup here it is. Looks and smelled burnt. Not sure how it turned from copper winds and green edged cores to this in 75-100mi

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
If you have to send that back, they'll probably say you sent a 25 year old part.

Looks like a lot of mileage, with infrequent oil changes and a lot of heat. Clean it up before you send it back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have to send that back, they'll probably say you sent a 25 year old part.

Looks like a lot of mileage, with infrequent oil changes and a lot of heat. Clean it up before you send it back.
I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you.

that’s the crazy part is the piece is a week old and the oil is 150mi old.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,196 Posts
What does the plug to your rectifier look like?

Sent from still giving one rat's ass per post after all these years

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi snowman4839. I am curious as to what has been happening with your stator problem. Did DB take it back with no issue? Also did they have any idea as to what could have caused the problem?

I haven’t been on the site for a while but may be back again since I am going to get my bike and help my son get his bike on the road again. His bike needs a stator and DB Electric was one I was looking at. I have had great luck with their starters. The one in his bike now is a Ricks and it didn’t last very many miles. We didn't do the Tuxedo Mod and I had hoped we wouldn't have needed to. Oh well. I hope your issue is getting sorted out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm happy with my ricks so far. I will report back again after my upcoming long road trip. I'll either blow out another stator or be sold on ricks forever

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi snowman4839. I am curious as to what has been happening with your stator problem. Did DB take it back with no issue? Also did they have any idea as to what could have caused the problem?

I haven’t been on the site for a while but may be back again since I am going to get my bike and help my son get his bike on the road again. His bike needs a stator and DB Electric was one I was looking at. I have had great luck with their starters. The one in his bike now is a Ricks and it didn’t last very many miles. We didn't do the Tuxedo Mod and I had hoped we wouldn't have needed to. Oh well. I hope your issue is getting sorted out.
I wouldn't recommend DB Electric. Not sure if it's COVID or what but they haven't responded to 2 emails about the warranty and like never honored 3 callbacks about the warranty. Their warranty appears to be junk :-/

I ended up buying a Caltric stator for $45 on eBay as well as a used OEM regulator rectifier off a low milage bike. I'm hoping the combination of a (hopefully) working reg/rec and a cheap new stator will keep me running for awhile. Still waiting on the OEM reg/rec from eBay before I fire it up and see how long everything lasts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience. I have had good luck with the DB Electric starters (2 of them) but not had to use the warranty. If they don't honor a warranty claim I won't take a chance with them. I had hoped the Ricks would last longer but my son and I haven't been riding much over the past 2-3 years and I don't think it lasted 3000 miles. Better than 100 but still. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Threw the Caltric stator in and rode around for 10 miles with the new (used from eBay) OEM regulator rectifier. Looks like it's charging. I see 13.0v-14.5v at the battery. Seems like it's going well at the moment. Now I just need to see if it'll burn out by the end of the riding season or if it'll last.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts