Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 95 vulcan and i need a new Speedo. The other gauges and lights are fine. Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
ebay or a forum member.. there are NO direct replacements for the factory setup.

sure the speedo is bad? the cable may be bad, and the drive gear on front wheel can fail or be misaligned as well

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
same issue, the back housing can be replaced, just need to find a donor part. the front part not so easily, they are 'sealed' at the factory to prevent water/moisture intrusion, not to mention odometer fiddlin

front=face side of unit
back=side bolt and wires go thru

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't work at all besides illumination. I'm sure the wiring is fine. I just need a new speedometer. My question would be what I'm looking for online amongst all the cheap Chinese stuff

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
verify that cable from front wheel to the speedo works. there is a small gearbox on left side of front wheel at the axle (axle actually goes thru it). you can disconnect it from either end and pull it all the way out of the sheath if you wish. you can disconnect from lower end, spin the cable, speedo needle should work, if not, either cable is broken (common) or speedo is toast.

if your thinking of an aftermarket chinese speedo, your on going to be doing custom work to mount and possible fabricate or modify the drive from the cable to get it to fit. Our speedo's are cable driven, only electric in it is illumination.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Just bought a 95 vulcan and i need a new Speedo. The other gauges and lights are fine. Suggestions?
I should've clarified. The housing looks like someone took a bat to it.
It doesn't work at all besides illumination. I'm sure the wiring is fine. I just need a new speedometer. My question would be what I'm looking for online amongst all the cheap Chinese stuff
It's just the Speedo housing. Can I buy one that will just replace it? The cable is fine.
I am not too sure you are understanding all the responses and that can be the reason you posted this problem under an Electrical heading. The gauge is mechanical except for the illumination. You can replace the housing if that is the only problem. If you replace it with another mechanical one you need to be sure it is calibrated correctly if it is not a stock VN 750 item. Best and easiest thing to do is to post under the Sell or Swap heading.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
pull cable off.grab one end and spin other.if the one you are grabbing does not move, cable is broken

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts