Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alas, i've been trying to get rid of the 70's couch seat for some time now. Probably at least a year. So this week I decided to jump in with both feet.

chopped the seat pan down to something more "solo"

fab'd up a new attachment bracket to keep the seat...and me... on the bike, welded a nut to a piece of scrap steel i had in the garage and then riveted and epoxied the whole shebang to the seat pan

drilled a hole in the rear fender to run my bolt up through to the seat pan

seat pan bolted to the bike, checking for fit

newly cut stock foam in the profile i wanted

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
covering the stock foam with some extra thin foam (1/8'') to get rid of the "mishapeness" that i caused when profiling the seat. ;) i tried an elec knife, the best thing i found was to use a serrated blade and an angle grinder... BUT BE CAREFUL, foam comes off fast.

Use spray glue to adhere this foam to the stock foam. it helps if you let the glue "tack up" for about 2 min after you spray it. pull the layers tight to get rid of any irregularities of shape

covering the seat with vinyl. throw it in the dryer for about 10 minutes on high and it comes out stretchy and easier to pull tight. but you have to work pretty quick. i used a pneumatic stapler to attach the vinyl. the seat pan is pretty darn hard and a regular spring stapled wouldn't cut it. Also used spray glue to keep the edges down under the staples

and done. i'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. in retrospect i kind of wish i had installed a gel insert or something but we shall see. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Well done dude, it looks great. You even gave a couple good seat mod ideas not heard before. Let us know how she feels after a ride or 2 and thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
Looks professional. Very good job.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not bad at all.... and you had the balls to to just cut your seat up. I'm working on a similar game plan but I don't want to mess up my stock seat so it will have to wait until I find an old seat to work on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very nice!!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
very nice!!i love that look!! but i think my wife would have my head for taking off her seat. we dont git out much but its a speacil time when we git the chance and she loves it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
What is holding it down on the bike?

KM
It is shown in the first set of Photos he posted , a plate with a nut epoxied to the seat pan with a hole in the fender to bolt it to from underneath.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3/8 or 1/2'' bolt (i dont recall which) that threads up through the fender to the nut that is welded onto the steel which is epoxied and bolted to the seat pan. whew. ;)

that and the front clip that slides under the frame tab by the tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
think i'll pass on that, im not big on passengers. ;) but i do want to make something up as a transition between the seat and the tail light chrome to conceal the wiring back there. we'll see what comes up tomorrow. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts