Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Administrator
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for VN750.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join VN750.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "VN750.com Classic".

4) Garages will be featured on the site

You can show off your YN750, You can post pictures in your garage and share it with others. Make sure you post up some images to share with the community at the link below.

Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums - Manage My Garage

5) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

6) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

7) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

8) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your VN750.com Team.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Site Supporters do not get the same access as Premium Lifetime Members. They need to.

I can only have 200 PMs, while Premium Lifetime Members get 1500. It even says Regular Members get 250 messages?

Every single Site Supporter should be upgraded to Premium Lifetime Members as it is not right to introduce premium 'subscriptions' and ignore the guys and gals that contributed to the site willingly in the past just to keep things running.

Reactions: VS Jeff

·
Community Manager/Admin
33 Posts
Site Supporters do not get the same access as Premium Lifetime Members. They need to.

I can only have 200 PMs, while Premium Lifetime Members get 1500. It even says Regular Members get 250 messages?

Every single Site Supporter should be upgraded to Premium Lifetime Members as it is not right to introduce premium 'subscriptions' and ignore the guys and gals that contributed to the site willingly in the past just to keep things running.
Heya - we will be promoting all the previous "Site Support" to "Lifetime Memberships" so all is fair and you get the new options.

Jeff

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Awesome! Otherwise, it's running good to me. Much cleaner html/css :) It will take time for regulars to get used to it but it should be a positive move none-the-less.

·
Community Manager/Admin
33 Posts
unless the right side item isnt the 'recent dicussions' list, it dont go away when you deselect it in the user profile.. using chrome on win 10

otherwise, it could grow in me!
We are still doing some tweaking on the back end.

Try clearing cookies and doing a log out/in at the end of the day.

Jeff

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Hehehe he said tweaking on the back end.isn't there an app for that?;)I have been using the motorcycle.com app so I'll have to try it

Reactions: VS Jeff

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Can't figure it from my smart phone either.must be my phone is smarter than the operator.

·
Community Manager/Admin
33 Posts
I don't understand how to upload a photo to my "garage"....using my iPhone. Tried both full versions and the Mobil version. Just keeps cycling me between the same pages...
Can't figure it from my smart phone either.must be my phone is smarter than the operator.
Can you give me some screen shots and more info about the browser, device, etc?

Jeff

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts

I still can not understand why someone would want to pay for something that is free and give away their money to a business that is a "for profit" enterprise that keeps all the profits to themselves. It is not as if this business is providing a service that will save mankind from total destruction if left to fail on its own. If anyone can't find a deserving person to give their money to than I will accept it with the promise that I will not share any profit I receive in the future.

As for this new look, I think it is terrible that I have to watch a commercial just to get an anwer to a silly question to prove I am a human being.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I don't like the new format. Too much garbage. May leave the forum.

Reactions: ruger

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I don't like the new format. Too much garbage. May leave the forum.
Don't like it either but I can't just leave the forum cause I already did;)if I'm on a pc I'm gonna use old forum and probably stick with motorcycle.com on my smarter than me phone

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
1) The site should be significantly faster.
Hmm, still a full minute to load the forum page, 40 seconds to load a topic with two replies on it. 40 seconds to load the page to reply in this one.

I still think the video ads are slowing things down here, it's the only website I have any trouble with. Used to be a fast website.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Can you give me some screen shots and more info about the browser, device, etc?

Jeff
I'm computer stupid.that would be like asking a burger flipper at a fast food joint how to make eggs Benedict

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
After using it all afternoon, I really like the new layout way better. Better readability all the way around, and that right-hand bar is helpful.

Google search is still default, which is awesome!

I'll try the garage stuff here soon.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
One full minute to refresh this page after already posting in the thread.

edit- And a full minute to load after making the above reply. So, activity seriously hampered on the site, not too likely to continue using it.

edit 2 - Only thing that's fast is an edit! Lol!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts