Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key for my bike broke in the fuel tank cap. I'm needing to get a new key for it, but the key was not the original. Where would I hopefully try to find the key code at for the bike so I can get a new key for it? I'm not really wanting to spend the money for a new ignition and all the other keyed locks on the bike. That will get expensive really quickly.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
of course you will have to unlock your helmet lock more than likely to get it off! in my signature is a write up on rekeying it but also detailed info on how to pick it. it is pretty easy!

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the helmet locks I didn't put back on the bike yet cause I lost the screw that holds it in place. Easy to find the key code that way. Thank you for telling me where the key code is located at. Now to get a new key ordered for the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
A good locksmith should be able to make a key cheaper than the stealership. Keep the new "original" key in a safe place and carry copies made from it.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
The actual "key code" was given to the original owner at the dealership. Some folks write the number down in their owners manual...but most are lost forever when bikes change hands. The code is not written anywhere on the bike that I know of.

But as mentioned, you can take the lock to a locksmith and he can make a key. I am however wondering if the helmet lock uses as many pins as the ignition switch. The switch uses 4 pins to identifiy the key...if the helmet lock uses only three of them...you might not be able to use the key in the ignition. (But I don't remember if the helmet lock uses 3 or 4)

Let us know if it works out.

KM

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The actual "key code" was given to the original owner at the dealership. Some folks write the number down in their owners manual...but most are lost forever when bikes change hands. The code is not written anywhere on the bike that I know of.

But as mentioned, you can take the lock to a locksmith and he can make a key. I am however wondering if the helmet lock uses as many pins as the ignition switch. The switch uses 4 pins to identifiy the key...if the helmet lock uses only three of them...you might not be able to use the key in the ignition. (But I don't remember if the helmet lock uses 3 or 4)

Let us know if it works out.

KM
I'm having the locksmith make me a key for it. I looked at the ignition switch, and the key code is on there as well. It's also on the fuel cap. Well we shall see how many problems the locksmith has. I'll let ya'll know.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Makes me think I might need to get an extra Ign. key and carry on the bike, just to be safe... I don't have a helmet lock, I just use a bicycle locking (combination) cable and go around the front spokes and thru the "D" ring on the helmet hanging on my Hwy. peg, the very few times I think I might need to...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
4 pins on the helmet lock when I rekeyed mine if I remember correctly!

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes me think I might need to get an extra Ign. key and carry on the bike, just to be safe... I don't have a helmet lock, I just use a bicycle locking (combination) cable and go around the front spokes and thru the "D" ring on the helmet hanging on my Hwy. peg, the very few times I think I might need to...
Have a good one...Old Dog...
On the ignition switch itself it has the key code, but it's harder than heck to read it. It's gotta be clean, and looked at int he right angle, and light.

I'm having two keys made for my bike. The Locksmith said he's going to charge me about $35 to remove the broke key and make me 2 keys. Now it will cost a bit more than that if he has to tear the ignition switch apart to get the broken key out. So we shall see what happens with this task. He said he's seen worse though.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the locksmith was able to get the broken part of the key out of the ignition switch, and get 2 keys made for it. Both keys were tested on the ignition switch and one helmet lock. It cost a total of $68.00 to have all this work done. The extra price due to him having to take the ignition switch apart. I'm a happy camper now.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Ouch at the price, yay that it's fixed.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Holy old thread batman

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Contact Locksmith boca raton for any locksmithing problems .They are expert in making new broke keys for any vehicles.
I can make a new BROKE key for a lot less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts