Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share - whether you care or not :)

I have been riding with an el' cheapo mesh jacket for a few years now. Some time ago I decided that when I get a new jacket it would be the Olympia Moto Sports Airglide 4 jacket. I've been putting it off for quite some time now due to the cost.

Yesterday I found a guy on craigslist selling the jacket in my size for a great price. And it's almost brand new - he got it as a gift and only wore it once - turned out not to fit him well. So I quickly snagged it up.

Haven't got to wear it while riding yet but looking forward to it (as much as one can I guess).

Just wanted to share :blah:

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Really nice. I need a new summer jacket. I don't trust the crappy BiLT one I picked up a few years back during a heat spell, and my black leather makes me sweat instantly.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
I have a Firstgear mesh jacket. I know the material is not the best (it's a polyester) but I kinda look at most mesh jackets as just a shell to hold the armor. I have replaced the armor with better 3 layer CE approved stuff.

I do have some Motoport Kevlar mesh gear...but it's not as cool on hot days as the FG jacket, and it's bulkier and heavier. Yeah, I know, it's not going to help you if you don't wear it, but sometimes you have to make that choice between comfort and overall safety. Ditto with my mesh pants...I know I should wear the Kevlar stuff, but staying cool and comfortable trumps the full protection...and I'm still better off than just wearing plain blue jeans.

The Motoport jacket is claimed to provide more protection than competition grade leather...

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=15&cid=27&

The Olympic gear is well made and worth the price, getting it for less is awesome. I got the Kevlar suit for about 1/5 of what it cost (like $1100) and I do wear it on long trips on strange roads....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm considering getting the Olympia Airglide 3 pant as well sometime. So far I still just wear regular jeans.

I got the Kevlar suit for about 1/5 of what it cost (like $1100) and I do wear it on long trips on strange roads....

What Kevlar suit are you referring to?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have a Firstgear mesh jacket. I know the material is not the best (it's a polyester) but I kinda look at most mesh jackets as just a shell to hold the armor. I have replaced the armor with better 3 layer CE approved stuff.

I do have some Motoport Kevlar mesh gear...but it's not as cool on hot days as the FG jacket, and it's bulkier and heavier. Yeah, I know, it's not going to help you if you don't wear it, but sometimes you have to make that choice between comfort and overall safety. Ditto with my mesh pants...I know I should wear the Kevlar stuff, but staying cool and comfortable trumps the full protection...and I'm still better off than just wearing plain blue jeans.

The Motoport jacket is claimed to provide more protection than competition grade leather...

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=15&cid=27&

The Olympic gear is well made and worth the price, getting it for less is awesome. I got the Kevlar suit for about 1/5 of what it cost (like $1100) and I do wear it on long trips on strange roads....
I'm considering getting the Olympia Airglide 3 pant as well sometime. So far I still just wear regular jeans.

What Kevlar suit are you referring to?
I think he is referring to his Motoport Kevlar.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
^That. Yes. I have the Kevlar Air Mesh Jacket with matching Air Mesh Pant. ...thus it's a "suit".

Seems they no longer make matching pants...(mine are the Hi-Vis Yellow/Green jacket and pant)
Both jacket and pants have a thermal liner and a water proof liner. When I wear it everyone says I look like a firefighter.....

The suit was first bought a former member here, Mark Kimmerling...by my recommendation. He was tagged by a cage going down the highway. Impact from the car severed his right leg below the knee. He was tossed to the pavement at around 65 mph. The impressive part was other than loosing the leg...he sustained no other injuries. Let that sink in. No road rash, no broken bones, not even any real bad bruises.
You can see a bit of wear on the pant where the car crushed his leg..and a bit on the left side of the jacket where he hit the pavement ... But the gear is still intact, no tears, no cuts or torn material.
Honestly I don't think anything out there is better than this gear for protection. He sold it to me for a steal and even though it's a tiny bit big on me, I'm real happy I got it...but not as happy as I am that he was wearing it when he had his accident.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts