Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new rider, first bike.. 94 vn750.

needs new tires.

my question is should i get the standard size or go for the over sized ones? from what i gather the wider the tire the better the traction?

Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The Bigger tires are the way most here on the forum seem to go. I like the feel of the bike with bigger tires. Lots of good info on this site to help you have a good experience with your bike. Check out the "verses" section if you have not allready.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Welcome. Definitely check out the Vulcan Verses, in there you will find recommendations about which tire sizes are the best fit for our bikes. If you go too big they might rub against something.

·
2,502 Posts
I put the oversized on my 94 and really like them. Went with the Metzler 880's.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Check the versus and if you don't see what you are looking for just ask. Someone can direct you or many will answer the question. That is the great thing about this site. Many many knowledgeable people here to help with problems and questions.

As for tires....you can go up to a 170/80/15 in most brands for the rear and the Metzler 880 offers a 180/80/15 that will fit. The biggest you can get on the front is a 110/90/19 unless you do some mods to the front forks and fender. I have gone to the darkside with a car tire on the rear and love it so far, but for someone new to riding I suggest sticking with MT while you are learning and building confidence.

Hope this helps.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
For what it's worth: I have over 20,000 miles riding time on the VN750, both with the factory installed tire sizes and the oversized tires.

I can definitely recommend the oversized tires--especially for a new(er) rider.

The over-sized tires will give your bike a more stable feel. They also actually improve the looks of the bike, too.

I went with the 170/80/15 on the rear, and the 110/90/19 on the front--and currently I use the Metzeler brand "ME880" tires. These sizes still fit the bike just fine.

These tires have almost 10,000 miles on them, and look good for about another 10,000. The factory installed tires were completely worn out at 11,000 miles....

If whoever installs your rear tire has a bit of trouble getting the larger size tire past the bike's swingarm, just let some air out of the tire, until it clears.

After you put a few hundred miles on the new tires, install "Ride On" tire sealant in them. This is a great hedge against a flat tire.

Check out some of the other threads here (by using the "search" function above) to learn more about this sealant.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

I don`t have enough experience riding to offer any personal advice on the tires, but the majority of riders here who have changed over seem to like the oversize tires both front and rear. I have a few thousand more miles of wear in my tires before they need replacing, and will probably go with the 110/90-19 on the front and darkside the rear with a Vredestien or Kumho 165/80-15 car tire (CT). I haven`t decided on a brand yet for the front. Some here have installed the less expensive Kenda Kruz tires with complete satisfaction too. If you ride on a lot of wet roads you may find the Metzlers better.

I will be installing *Ride-On* tire sealant/balancer in the front MT, and would do the rear too, if I were putting a MT on there.

Here`s Daniel Meyer`s review of using the Ride-On on his Valkyrie:
http://lifeisaroad.com/forum/index.php?topic=749.msg2738#msg2738

Ride-On website. Note this is the specific formulation for motorcycle tires:
http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

Check Ebay, better deals are sometimes found there.

After getting some riding experience and wearing out a set of MT on your bike, you may be interested in trying a CT. Here is Daniel Meyer`s reason for going to the darkside:
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Put my order in this morning. This is what I ended up with...

110/90-19 (62H) Pirelli MT66-Route Front Motorcycle Tire
$68.99

170/80-15 (77H) Pirelli MT66-Route Rear Motorcycle Tire
$96.99

Got them from jakewilson.com I got free shipping but couldn't find any current discounts other than $10 dollars off my next purchase which im sure i'll end up using so it all works out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Put my order in this morning. This is what I ended up with...

110/90-19 (62H) Pirelli MT66-Route Front Motorcycle Tire
$68.99

170/80-15 (77H) Pirelli MT66-Route Rear Motorcycle Tire
$96.99

Got them from jakewilson.com I got free shipping but couldn't find any current discounts other than $10 dollars off my next purchase which im sure i'll end up using so it all works out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
seems to be a feir price on what has been reported to be a good tire,WVShaneb is running the pirelli and you can check with him for a first hand report.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
I have over 12,000 on mine and will get several thousand more barring road hazards.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sorry I was too late with this JZ. I'm running Kenda Kruz on mine. Got front and rear from www.atvtireking.com for $113 (not each, together) and free shipping LAST October. Still have them on several thousand miles later with a lot of tread left. I definitely felt an improvement in handling with the larger tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts