Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Super Moderator
Here's two dumb questions:

Q: Does the bike absolutely require the stator to run?
A: no. A bike will run fine without a working stator. The stator charges the battery.

Q: Could the bike run on battery alone?
A: yes. I had a trip planned around the Olympic Peninsula (450+ miles) years ago. The stator died before leaving on the trip. I replaced all the lamps with LED, packed a battery charger and did the ride. Camping overnight, the camp host let me plug in and charge the battery.
The only real drain on the battery is starting. Made the trip just fine. Great memories.

Many bikes have stator issues especially when the system is overloaded or connections not maintained. The VN is a troublesome headache because of the engine pull.
Early goldwing owners came up with the poor boy solution by putting a car alternator on the bike. GW's require a engine pull too. At twice the weight馃槥
Thank you for a thorough and informative answer. It leads me to my next question:

With the advances in battery technology, would it be difficult/expensive/impractical/dangerous to install a much more powerful battery of similar size. There's some bicycles out there that have these massive li-po or li-ion batteries with insane ratings. I almost wonder if someone with a crapped out stator could simply disconnect it from the system and rely on a potent battery? It wouldn't be difficult to come up with a 12v replacement. Thanks again!

Registered
Once you switch over all lamps to LED, the only real concern is how many engine starts do you have? My 77 XS650 will run all day w/o a charging system because I use the kick starter.

Registered
You can use the largest 12v battery you can fit on the bike, or even tow behind you. The system will only take the amperage it needs. But everything better be protected, because a short circuit will light things up quickly. Instead of a short drawing 250 amps, it's going to be 800 etc, whatever the rating is on the big battery.

I use small car batteries on lawn tractors, they start even on a weak charge.

Premium Member
I understand the comments, but as he stated he had to charge the battery. It鈥檚 not impossible but in a normal condition the machine should be self sufficient and not need to be charged. A battery constantly run down will not last very long.

Registered
mmart brings up a good point. Most batteries are not designed to have large percentages of their capacity used up. You'd need to be sure to get a 'deep cycle' battery if you wanted longevity.

Premium Member
mmart brings up a good point. Most batteries are not designed to have large percentages of their capacity used up. You'd need to be sure to get a 'deep cycle' battery if you wanted longevity.
To give even more perspective, I have a 24lb thrust trolling motor for my fishing kayak. This is almost the smallest motor you can get. To run it I have one 12v 65AH deep cycle marine battery. If I was to strictly run the motor at top speed(which is only 3.5kn lol) I鈥檇 get about 4-4.5 hours. Good thing is the battery can last hundreds of cycles but it weighs almost 50lbs. I got a SLA type because it was under $100. However, The same power output from a higher end lighter weight lithium battery will hit you with a price tag that makes even the stators look cheap

Registered
My brother, and a riding bud, both bought lithium for their bikes. Paid premium price for name brand batts. Both batteries died just outta warranty. They went back to AGM's.

Super Moderator
My brother, and a riding bud, both bought lithium for their bikes. Paid premium price for name brand batts. Both batteries died just outta warranty. They went back to AGM's.
I imagine buying one ready-made would be insanely expensive, but I see no reason why one couldn't assemble their own. I'll text my brother's, he's something of an expert of everything rechargeable. Several of his electric RC helicopters have battery "bricks", which look like they sound.

He also has modified quite a few electric bicycles. I'll see what he thinks and post later.

Premium Member
Do you mean assembling your own battery? I鈥檓 an engineer so I鈥檓 all for solving my own problems , but that seems to be something I鈥檇 probably not try to do. Especially in the context of keeping my bike running which has an internal combustion engine.

Registered
I imagine buying one ready-made would be insanely expensive, but I see no reason why one couldn't assemble their own. I'll text my brother's, he's something of an expert of everything rechargeable. Several of his electric RC helicopters have battery "bricks", which look like they sound.

He also has modified quite a few electric bicycles. I'll see what he thinks and post later.
Have your bro make a electric bike using a Ryobi 40v battery. Better yet, two on a bike! What a great idea since there's thousands of those batteries sitting in garages not being used most of the year.
If he does this, can I get 20% of the profits? I think it would be a big hit.

Super Moderator
Have your bro make a electric bike using a Ryobi 40v battery. Better yet, two on a bike! What a great idea since there's thousands of those batteries sitting in garages not being used most of the year.
If he does this, can I get 20% of the profits? I think it would be a big hit.
You're going to laugh, but he IS THAT guy that invented and produces the adapters that allow people to use certain cordless tool batteries on certain electric bicycles. I can't remember the bicycle brand, or if the batteries are Ryobi, DeWalt or what, but I can get the pics. Standby....

EDIT:
Took me a while, sorry. Here ya go:

Hand Gesture Finger Nail Thumb

Finger Thumb Nail Wrist Camera accessory

Gadget Laptop accessory Cable Composite material Wire

Automotive design Font Electrical wiring Wood Carmine

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

Super Moderator
Do you mean assembling your own battery? I鈥檓 an engineer so I鈥檓 all for solving my own problems , but that seems to be something I鈥檇 probably not try to do. Especially in the context of keeping my bike running which has an internal combustion engine.
Fair point, but if you had a battery that could reliably power your motorcycle's mechanical needs for weeks, with only several recharges, then I suppose you'd have a "hybrid" bike? I mean, these stators seem like a pain to replace, and since it's a moving part, is more than likely going to fail long before a battery would. Dunno, man. I'm mostly just having the conversation to have the conversation. It's fun to consider the possibilities.

Premium Member
I get your point, it鈥檚 awesome when you can fix or improve your stuff. But I don鈥檛 think that would be a hybrid. The battery would still be powering the spark to ignite the fuel as opposed to running an electric motor. Also the stator is not a moving part. It鈥檚 fixed in the cover and the rotor spins with the motor. Lastly, the main thing to consider is that stators aren鈥檛 necessarily a high failure rate item, all bikes most likely have the same failure rate, it鈥檚 just a few of the engineers at Kawasaki didn鈥檛 have enough sense to talk to each other when they designed the engine and the frame and we鈥檙e left to deal with their f&@k up. Knowing it鈥檚 a b-tch of a job, it鈥檚 a good idea to get a quality part and do whatever else you can do while the bike is broken down. You hear horror stories on here because A. It鈥檚 a forum and people usually are looking for help. And B. People want to buy $30 eBay or Alibaba stators and then get surprised when they get cooked in under a 1000 miles. Definitely a 鈥渂uy nice or but twice鈥 scenario.

Super Moderator
I get your point, it鈥檚 awesome when you can fix or improve your stuff. But I don鈥檛 think that would be a hybrid. The battery would still be powering the spark to ignite the fuel as opposed to running an electric motor. Also the stator is not a moving part. It鈥檚 fixed in the cover and the rotor spins with the motor. Lastly, the main thing to consider is that stators aren鈥檛 necessarily a high failure rate item, all bikes most likely have the same failure rate, it鈥檚 just a few of the engineers at Kawasaki didn鈥檛 have enough sense to talk to each other when they designed the engine and the frame and we鈥檙e left to deal with their f&@k up. Knowing it鈥檚 a b-tch of a job, it鈥檚 a good idea to get a quality part and do whatever else you can do while the bike is broken down. You hear horror stories on here because A. It鈥檚 a forum and people usually are looking for help. And B. People want to buy $30 eBay or Alibaba stators and then get surprised when they get cooked in under a 1000 miles. Definitely a 鈥渂uy nice or but twice鈥 scenario.
Ah, makes sense. I was beginning to get the impression that these things just failed regularly. I'm just over 9k miles, so maybe I'll have some good luck with her. On a side note, I was wondering, have you ever heard of anyone converting the side covers (or modifying, whichever) with air scoops? I've been thinking of this RR problem, getting too hot, and I'm seriously considering buying a second set of covers to tinker with. More external airflow would have a drastic affect on the temp right there, would it not? Just an idea....

Premium Member
Ahh, yet another spot on this bike where the design engineers weren鈥檛 sharing ideas. I don鈥檛 know about the side covers. Aren鈥檛 your legs in front of any potential spots where you could get good air flow? I鈥檇 opt to relocate the RR unless you鈥檙e changing the exhaust. Since were throwing out catch phrases I鈥檇 go with 鈥渟marter not harder鈥 for this one haha!

Registered
Ahh, yet another spot on this bike where the design engineers weren鈥檛 sharing ideas. I don鈥檛 know about the side covers. Aren鈥檛 your legs in front of any potential spots where you could get good air flow? I鈥檇 opt to relocate the RR unless you鈥檙e changing the exhaust. Since were throwing out catch phrases I鈥檇 go with 鈥渟marter not harder鈥 for this one haha!
It can't hurt, unless rain becomes a problem, but I don't think you'll gain anything.

Super Moderator
As far as "smarter not harder", I actually found some little scoops online that would fit the sidecovers, and all one would have to do is cut a hole in the cover and position the scoop to direct the airflow in. Not sure that would be all that hard.

I know that the entire battery box assembly can be removed, so one of these days I should just go ahead and re-route it.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts