·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
the oil and mess you see are from where i spilled while filling the bike up the belt is not 100% straight but since then i have shimmed out the bracket to move the alternator outward and align the belt better

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
How difficult is it to record a video? No smart phone?
i had the video on my phone just took forever to get it to load to photobucket for some reason then after seeing your smart ass reply i decided to wait a while before i posted it to the forum

:loser1:

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So I checked my charging system yesterday since the battery was low due to cold weather and not riding for a couple weeks and found that i wasn't producing any charge at idle but when i got it up to 1500 rpm it was charging 12.8 volts

That not being the numbers I wanted to see i grabbed up a 13 mm 14 mm and a 10 mm and stuck them in my pocket and rode up to oriellys where i had them check it and they said the regulator was bad so i took it off the bike right there and swapped it out under warranty took me 10 minutes and now the bike is once again charging its ass off

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey everyone this is a great time to get your orders in so you don't have any down time next riding season

And I have now redesigned the shaft that comes out of the motor so you no longer have to pull the motor to install it making initial install take less than 2 hours for even the most novice rider

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Can we get pictures of all the parts that come in the kit?
If i was to post pictures of every part what would stop people from making their own instead of buying it from me that wouldn't be smart business would it

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My kit will come with all brackets and hardware needed and the shaft and the modified pickup coil cover

You will supply your own alternator and belt and pulley and wires

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Reactions: ruger

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I like this idea. It was a very common mod on 1200 Goldwings. The stock charging system on those bikes was a nightmare, a number of bikes actually caught fire because the R/R are associated wiring overheated. However, the Goldwing has a longitudinal crankshaft, with timing belts at the front of the engine. There was no oil behind the timing cover where the pulley connected to the crankshaft. What did you use for an oil seal? Is it attached to the small 3 screw cover? Does this mod require any drilling, grinding, or cutting on the stator cover to install, like the tuxedo mod? If so I would recommend pulling the engine to install it. One really great thing about this mod is that it uses an actual automotive alternator, with load controlled field output. That means no more shorting excess current to ground, as there wouldn't be any excess current. Had this been available when I replaced my stator, I would have probably gone this route.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I drilled a hole in the pickup coil cover and put in a rubber oil seal much like what you would find on the output shaft of a push mower

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, I pm'd them, but no reply yet. I guess i was curious if anyone had successfully installed the kit on their own rides. His set up does look nice, but I'm curious how much grinding and punching holes in parts im going to have to do to pull it off. Ive been avoiding the tuxedo mod for that reason, and im hoping this is a bit easier on the install. And more long lasting. Replacing that stator is a tax even with the install being mitigated.

Im also wondering how taxing it is on the rest of the electrical system, or if the auto part regulates, or if the r/r does a sufficient job, or if they'll be more prone to burning up with the extra charging coming in.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
new rider will chime in soon

21 - 37 of 37 Posts