Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have finally perfected my single belt alternator mod that eliminates the dreaded and inevitable stator failure and in the long run saves you money and time on fixing a charging problem.

I want to make it clear that i am not faulting Kanuck69's design at all it worked beautifully for him and looks clean on the bike.

My design differs from his in a few ways.

1. I set mine up with one belt instead of two

2. the alternator i used is easily found at the local parts house and is rated at 63 amps max output and sells for around 40 dollars with a lifetime guarantee where as the alternator kanuck69 used i believe was ordered off the internet rated at 30 amps which is enough to do the job but rings up closer to 100 dollars however it is smaller in size and a bit prettier.

3. I used a 3/4 inch output shaft and he used a 1 inch output shaft

I would like to offer my mod up for sale as an alternative to the tuxedo mod.

Yes the tux mod plate is going to be cheaper and does make changing the stator a breeze once the mod has been completed but the down side is you are still going to spend 80 bucks or more every time your stator fails and don't for get that pesky regulator that runs 40 bucks or more for a used mosfet. Then there is the down time while waiting for parts to arrive. Time in which you might be missing a rally and definitely missing a ride. All in all the tux mod only saves you on labor price and labor time.

My alternator mod on the other hand will be a bigger initial investment of course but listen to the benefits. Lets say you are riding down the road one day and and that heavy duty alternator you put on your bike finally calls it quits. What ever shall you do? Well lets see grab your trusty ol' smart fone and find you the nearest parts store (which ever one you originally bought your alternator from) and see if they have another alternator in stock. I am willing to bet they do and if by chance they don't the can usually get one by the end of the day or the next morning at the latest. Here is the best part to remove the alternator you need a 10, 13, and 14 mm wrench thats it 5 mins of work and the alternator is off. another 5 minutes and the new one is installed. No more waiting a week for parts or fighting with pesky seized up phillips head screws on the side cover no need for allen wrenches all that is eliminated. Well now that you have heard the pro's here are the con's.
The bike will no longer look stock and will be about 7 to 10 pounds heavier thats it. Oh don't forget the conversation starter it will be.

I will be asking $275 for the mod and it will include everything needed minus the alternator itself you will buy your own alternator from a local parts store preferably autozone or orielly's or advanced so as to get a good warranty in your own name and like i said above they run about 40 bucks but there is a core charge that you will have to pay unless you have an old alternator laying around to use as a trade in.

I painted mine black to match the bike but customers will receive bare steel parts that you can paint or chrome to your hearts content.

Kanuck69 has a thread on his design as well I am unsure if he is selling a kit or not and if he is I couldn't tell you his asking price but feel free to go with his design if you like it better.

Feel free to contact me by phone to place an order my number is in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Here are the pics of my design mounted on my bike.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do not have any kits made at the moment but i will start on one as soon as someone says they want one.

If multiple people want one I can start keeping stock in the kits.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Interesting project new rider. :smiley_th
I see you have the tour bell riding low to scare all those troublesome gremlins off too, eh?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting project new rider. :smiley_th
I see you have the tour bell riding low to scare all those troublesome gremlins off too, eh?
thats my american express i never leave home without it :motorcycl

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I do thank you for giving credit for the origin of this. I only hoped it would be improved upon.
since moving to the 900, I don't really have a "big" interest in producing anything as a kit for the 750. Especially since most of it is gone now. =)
my only question I have now seeing the completion (which is great by the way), it looks like the two pulleys are similar in size. Do you have enough rpm's at idle to maximize the alternator? That's why I did a larger drive pulley. To bump up the alternators rpm & have reliable full power all the time.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do thank you for giving credit for the origin of this. I only hoped it would be improved upon.
since moving to the 900, I don't really have a "big" interest in producing anything as a kit for the 750. Especially since most of it is gone now. =)
my only question I have now seeing the completion (which is great by the way), it looks like the two pulleys are similar in size. Do you have enough rpm's at idle to maximize the alternator? That's why I did a larger drive pulley. To bump up the alternators rpm & have reliable full power all the time.
you are welcome brother

as far as the alternators rpms go i would go as far to say the alt. is not putting out full potential at idle but it is meant to charge the battery for a 1/2 ton chevy truck so it puts out plenty of juice to give a 12.8 volt reading on the meter at idle and the bearings in the alt are rated for up to 9k rpms

i used pulleys of the same size so i can safely say that the alt is running the same rpm as the bike which idles at 1k rpm

an old 79 chevy 1500 idles at 750 rpm in neutral and around 600 rpm in gear and the alt does a fine job there however i am sure the alt is spinning faster than the crank on the chevy

with the bike at 5k rpm this alt puts out 14.6 volts and enough amps to run the bike at idle or at speed with the battery disconnected i can promise this one too you because i tried it :motorcycl

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bad ass!.. Nice work!... Can I ask what seat are you running?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
If my memory serves me correct I think it's a meanstreak seat he has

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts

·
Dragon Master
39 Posts
I am interested in getting one. I will be getting paid on this thursday and can pay you that same day if you accept paypal. I do have a couple of questions (or just clarifications) before I allow my interest to grow into an investment.

1- when you say the kit will come with everything except the alternator do you mean that you will have the side cover with the pulley and all that sealed up and ready to be bolted onto the bike (I have no drill press and that could pose a problem if I get a bag of shafts and seals with a note telling me to center a hole of X- diameter to line up with shaft)

2- what exactly should I be looking for in an alternator for this mod (any pointers like one for (insert year and make model of car) I know that the direction of the rotation of some alternators makes a big difference in cooling (possibly more but I am not all that sure.

3 and finally does you kit come with misc pointers and tips that I am not thinking of that will no doubt come up during assembly like hook this lead to this wire (and not directly to battery to avoid battery drain when bike is off?

I am sorry if I am being to forward with my questions, but for $200 I kinda need to know what I am to expect before I allow myself to become too excited and paint myself into a corner (again). and thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my tedious inquiries.

·
Dragon Master
39 Posts
I can understand why you would say that. but where my bike is right now I see a mod like this to be the last chance my bike has to not be parted out. I need to get something happening with it soon. Time is a factor but so is money (or lack there of) If I end up doing this mod (or one like it) I will be sure to try to get a video of it posted for the benefit of others.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am trying to get video of the bike running on the alternator mod but it is proving to be a pain in my ass so you guys bear with me

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Reactions: new rider 9984
1 - 20 of 37 Posts