Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to buy a new rear tire and after much shopping around motorcycle superstore is the place ,what i want to Know is the Avon Venom worth the extra money,I just put on a dunlop404 front 110/90/15 a couple thousand miles ago and it is wearing good and has shown very good traction,under my riding style which I would rate on the upper medium to fast( for a cruiser) end of the scale on the twisties,I really don't like to mix up tires,it's a personal thing ,and I wonder if the Avon would be any stickier than a matching 404 Dunlop,in 170/80/15 ,either one I choose will be that size.I would like some honest answers from those who have owned both,not I like these better because that's what I am running now answers,I have already narrowed it to these two choices,so don't confuse me by throwing Metzeler and Bridgestone in the mix,I am leaning towards a matched set of Dunflops, convince me the Venom is a better choice,Denny:doh:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The Avon Venom has to be alot better since it costs alot more, right. :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some times you get what you pay for and sometimes you pay for a name,I 'd just like to know on this one

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
You will be just fine with the matched set of Dunlops, unless you ride it like a crotch rocket. The Avon Venom is a great tire and has excellent traction, but with the soft compound most riders are only getting 5000-6000 miles before it needs to be replaced. That is the only complaint I have heard of from other riders.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
You will be just fine with the matched set of Dunlops, unless you ride it like a crotch rocket. The Avon Venom is a great tire and has excellent traction, but with the soft compound most riders are only getting 5000-6000 miles before it needs to be replaced. That is the only complaint I have heard of from other riders.
yup! what he said. go with the Dunlops this time and if you want you can try a set of Avon Venom next time.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
t:smiley_thanks

·
Expert Advice Giver
152 Posts
I liked all of the Dunlop and Bridgestones I have run, mostly for the white letter "old school" look, but I am running Avon Venom's front and rear and cannot believe the difference in handling now. Cornering is a lot more stable, and straight line highway speeds are more stable too. No tracking on patches in the road, or the grooves between concrete lanes. Leaning into turns is a lot more stable, especially when you get over far enough to scrape the road. The Avons cost more, but for me, I got what I paid for. For what it's worth, I have never gotten 5000 miles out of any rear tire :) That is dependent on how you drive though. The larger size tire would contribute to the stability in a straight line, I am sure, but the traction these offer has to make the difference in a hard lean. Just my opinion, it's free; it may be priceless, it may be worthless.

110/90-19 Front
170/80-15 Rear

Ride safe!!1!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I liked all of the Dunlop and Bridgestones I have run, mostly for the white letter "old school" look, but I am running Avon Venom's front and rear and cannot believe the difference in handling now. Cornering is a lot more stable, and straight line highway speeds are more stable too. No tracking on patches in the road, or the grooves between concrete lanes. Leaning into turns is a lot more stable, especially when you get over far enough to scrape the road. The Avons cost more, but for me, I got what I paid for. For what it's worth, I have never gotten 5000 miles out of any rear tire :) That is dependent on how you drive though. The larger size tire would contribute to the stability in a straight line, I am sure, but the traction these offer has to make the difference in a hard lean. Just my opinion, it's free; it may be priceless, it may be worthless.

110/90-19 Front
170/80-15 Rear

Ride safe!!1!
ALL info Appreciated,and I too am bad to grind on the bottom of my bike!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've clocked a few hundred mileS on my SHINKO 150, workS for me @ $89. They alSo have a 170...

DT

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with the Dunlop since I had already put a new 404 on the front might try the Avons as a set next time I shoe my horse.I am looking forward to the bigger tire though:pepper:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope the burgers don't factor in or I am in Trouble!!!

·
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!
256 Posts
For what it's worth, I think you'd be wise to keep the tires the same brand/model. Having two tires with different rubber/handling characteristics/grip/flexibility is just bound to cause some unforeseen issues when you get yourself into a bind. Predictability is a nice thing to have once you've realized you've stepped in it and now need to do something drastic FAST!!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
For what it's worth, I think you'd be wise to keep the tires the same brand/model. Having two tires with different rubber/handling characteristics/grip/flexibility is just bound to cause some unforeseen issues when you get yourself into a bind. Predictability is a nice thing to have once you've realized you've stepped in it and now need to do something drastic FAST!!!
ANYONE try radials on our vn's or do they require a special rim?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts