Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was looking into getting some new shocks to improve the ride while lowering the rear end, I have some questions though. First I was looking at MadKat's build and I really like the shocks that he used, does anyone know what shocks those are, I know its a long shot but the worst you can say is no right? Secondly, I was looking at some universal shocks and they said that the eye diameter is 10mm or 12mm, that seems small but i could be wrong. Lastly I was thinking of getting 11.5 inch shocks, has anyone done this and had any trouble riding two up like this.

Sorry for all the questions and I wanted to say thank you so much.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I'm not the person to give any shock information since I haven't personally done anything with mine yet. But that being said, I'll have to tend to mine in the next year or so I guess. They're barely "shocking" now. So I, too, will soon be paying closer attention to threads on shocks. I just answered here so you'd get someone replying to your enquiry. Hang tight. By the way, where are you in Texas? I was stationed at the B-52 base there in Ft Worth for a number of years (when it was there) and still have family in Ft Worth and McKinney, just north of Dallas. There are a number of Texas residents here in the forum.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
I had 10" progressive shocks on mine.had to raise up the fork tubes a little.also had to relocate the rectifier cause the swing arm was hitting it

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
I'm not sure what MadKat used, but you could just ask him. 10" is a bit low, yeah. 11.5" should be fine for sure. There are several other bikes whose shocks will slip right on, so it's a 10 minute job if that. I've used Savage/S40 shocks as has Doc I think since he recommended them to me. Direct fit, HUGE drop like in the neighborhood of 3". You'll definitely feel the additional rake in the handling, but in a good way IMO. I was fine for 2-up suspension travel with the added stiffness but my gf at the time was a model, so YMMV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys

Yeah I've lived around Dfw my whole life so I know my way around haha. Thank you guys! I messaged MadKat but I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm guessing any Japanese motorcycle shocks will be bolt up? I'm going to look around for some savage shocks but I think I want come black ones.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I lowered mine with Progressive Shocks,412,....11.5inches. They have 5 preload settings on the chrome cover to stiffen them if you add weight,or rider. You can buy a wrench for about $10 and the guy I talked to at the Progressive Shocks also sent me different sets of bushings so there was no problem bolting them on.If I can find their number I'll post it,but you should be able to find it easy enough.Big difference with the new shocks.!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheapo!

I like the suggestions guys but I can't afford progressive shocks! I'm sure they are worth it but too rich for my blood! Will any shocks with 12mm eyes work or should I go with 10mm eyes? I read somewhere on here that I could punch the bushings out of the stock shocks and insert them in the new ones, that sounds easy enough.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Suzuki savage or s40 boulevard shocks.bring the forks up about an inch to an inch and a half to correct trail.yes can press out the eyes,have done so myself. look on eBay for used shocks for Harleys as well

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
I got mine used from a member here,for$100,as I couldn't afford new ones either,around $300 at the time,soI guess I lucked out. I'll check around and see what I can find. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts