Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just replaced the rr today. put the bike back together. fired her up. idling 13 volts at 3500 rpm 14.5
rode for a mike dropped down to between 12.19 to 12.48

is this normal or is My bike possessed??
Ive had this bike for 14 weeks and only managed to put 280 miles. its reallyyyyyy teaching me patience

·
Registered
796 Posts
This is normal. As I said in another post. After the battery gets a full charge 100%, the r/r doesn't put out as much or shorts it to ground, so not to overcharge the battery.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I think after all the problems im just a little gun shy. Im riding today

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Sorry to say this, but that is too low. The R/R doesn't care a bit if the battery is full or not, it just tries to keep the voltage at around 14V.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Just spotted baldy's response in the other thread. True, the voltage may drop, but as I said, 13.3 V is suspicious. Below 13V is definitely too low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just spotted baldy's response in the other thread. True, the voltage may drop, but as I said, 13.3 V is suspicious. Below 13V is definitely too low.
Not to highjack the thread, but how much is too high? Mine hit 17 last night. I'm ordering a new R/R today.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sorry to say this, but that is too low. The R/R doesn't care a bit if the battery is full or not, it just tries to keep the voltage at around 14V.
I stand corrected.

My eyes must have transposed the numbers but pappa is right 12.19 to 12.48v is quite low. When I tested my bikes the volts didn't drop below 13v. Sorry for giving wrong advise. I'm still learning as I go as well and get slapped once in a while. lol

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
we need to keep in mind that the readings should be taken at 3000 to 3500.rpms. At Idle they will generally read battery voltage.Also if your gauge is wired in around the headlight area instead of at the battery your readings will be a little lower.If you have an digital meter and are checking the output at the battery,at the proper rpm range that is a little low and might be cause for concern.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
just replaced the rr today. put the bike back together. fired her up. idling 13 volts at 3500 rpm 14.5

Ive had this bike for 14 weeks and only managed to put 280 miles. its reallyyyyyy teaching me patience
My bike did that and I found that my ground to the frame was a bit loose and rusty. Cleaned and tightened, fixed the problem.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts

Possessed all of them are that is why we name them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any ideas what would cause this problem other than loose ground

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i bought a used rr but it has a 30 day warranty should I change it?

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
where is your voltmeter wired in at

·
Registered
30 Posts
Low Voltage Charging System

Read the Stator Coils to Ground.
I just recovered from this one. I changed the R/R only to find out that the Stator had a Ground. Replaced Stator, all is better.

Rich

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
should I replace this rr also. Ill check the ground connections today

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
checked all the grounds all seem okay. I must be missing something???

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry I los t the lst view responses bike has about 12000 miles is a 95. is there a way to test the stator while on the bike or do we have to disassemble it????
BTW you guys are awesome Ive never known more helpful people so thanks again

1 - 20 of 28 Posts