Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tested my R/R to find that was bad. After looking into my options I went with the Mosfet FH012AA upgrade discussed here. As per the instructions that came with the R/R and from http://www.roadstercycle.com/ I wired the 3 yellow wires from the stator directly to the 3 plugs on left of the R/R. Then wire the (+) and (-) from the battery to the right of the R/R.

(not my pic - but wired the same)

I did this and nothing else. That means the original wires from stator to wiring harness are just hanging disconnected. The original R/R plug from the wiring harness is also hanging disconnected.

After installing the new R/R I started the bike and tested the voltage on the battery posts. Got a solid 14.4 at 3000 RPM. So that seems alright. BUT now my headlight (high and low beams) is out? It was about 2:30 this morning and I didn't check much else on the bike, but the headlight was the only thing that seemed to be having a problem

The question I have is about the 6th wire on the original R/R plug. The OEM R/R has six plugs on it where the replacement one I installed only has five. I've read that the 6th wire is a "sense" wire? I wasn't sure what should be done with it or if I could just leave it unconnected.

Could the stator and R/R wires I have disconnected have something to do with the headlight issue? I'm pretty sure I didn't disturb any wiring besides those.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
If you can get the wireing diagram of the whole elec system you can see a wire spices in from on of the yellow wires. This split is under the seat and it goes to the junction box, this powers the headlight The wireing diagram is 18-7 Supplement -200. I found this out because my wires from the Stator are fused and once one of the fuses blow and my voltage was down and the headlight stopped working. After repacing the fuse the headlight worked again. You will have to wire into this split wire, to get power to the headlight, or run a different wire to the headlight. Just check another elec diagram and I can see that it is the yellow wire that goes to the junction box.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
With the r/r you have you cannot connect the stator leg to the JB. check the wiring diagram for the pin number and splice switched 12v into the wire going from original stator to jb and your headlight will work.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks for the great responses guys, I'll see if I can't get it fixed up.

-So, it should be OK to leave the old wires unconnected?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
yes in theory you should be fine.. but I now see why your light wont come on... I re-read your original post. seeing as you wired the stator directly to the r/r and the r/r directly to the battery, you bypassed he JB... indoing so, you bypassed 3 diodes. one diode operates the headlight relay, the other two diodes are for safety switches. I would tie one stator leg to the yellow wire on the jb... this should fix your lighting issue. as for the sence wire, with this style of r/r it isn't needed.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Hey slim I tried that when I put my new r/r on and when you do that it will not charge. that is the reason for the rewire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts