Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was tiered of riding the pickle ( lime green with green flames ) so i got brave and did a repaint! let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Looks really good! Is that a one seater??? Do you have a pic of the rear part behind the seat?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Looks good from here! :beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I'm with you ,a big improvement!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Admiral

Looks real nice. I may go that way myself. Nothing like a black bike. Engine looks real good too.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
How did you get the cylinder fins so shiny? Or something like that. LOL. I was thinking of putting crome car door stripping over mine but yours look awesome

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The cover looks like OEM for 1985 models. Every year from `86 on, the seat was upholstered with the big buttons.
My 85 has plain upholstery... no buttons and no slots like this one has.

The paint job came out pretty good.

You think a rattle can paint job might come out alright or definitely must go with the good stuff?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks fellas! the paint is just rust-o-leum on the tins thinned with acetone! the engine paint it high gloss - heat black! the fins and all side covers were hand polished, started with 00 steel wool and progressed to finer grit! but the fins had little nicks in them so i sanded with sandpaper then the wool!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
thanks fellas! the paint is just rust-o-leum on the tins thinned with acetone! the engine paint it high gloss - heat black! the fins and all side covers were hand polished, started with 00 steel wool and progressed to finer grit! but the fins had little nicks in them so i sanded with sandpaper then the wool!
Hey, looks good Dusty...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Rustoleum comes in a spray can, doesn't it? How'd you thin it with acetone, and for what purpose?

My bike really really needs new paint... I'd appreciate it a lot if you could give me some details on your paint job :)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Rustoleum comes in a spray can, doesn't it? How'd you thin it with acetone, and for what purpose?
Comes in cans too.

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
That's one fine looking ride.

RG

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I have the same seat on mine. Aftermarket Travelcade I think, but I'll have to look. The last guy butchered mine. didnt know what he was doing, didnt pull it over the pan all the way so he drilled holes and tie wrapped it with black ties, then the idiot shot construction foam in to take up the spaces. Some people should leave tools alone and let the professionals do the work for them.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Ceal, I`m no accomplished painter, but here are a few hints I have picked up.

I asked Ron/lance328 a couple of years ago what the best rattle can paint was to use on the metal parts of the bike.
He said to use *RUSTOELEUM PROFESSIONAL HIGH PERFORMANCE GLOSS ENAMEL*.

For the plastic he recommended *KRYLON FUSION SATIN BLACK*.

The last chapter of the Clymer manual has directions for getting the best paint job from a spray can.
A couple of hints are to
1. - apply the paint at air temps between 70-80*F, and
2. - after shaking the paint for the recommended time, warm it up in warm water (not over 120*F), just before applying.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts